Rotorua

The fabled waters...info and reports here
fraser hocks

Rotorua

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Ok guys I know its not exactly TT but for a southerner like myself they may as well be Wanaka & Albert Town :lol:

Im heading up there next week with the wife for a week of mountain biking and maybe a spot of fishing in the afternoon. Iv been there the last couple of years around this time of the year and surprise surprise iv been fishing the Ngongotaha for those dam egg feeding fish. Much as that's a spot of fun and a real change from the norm down here (big clear rivers. Very few but large trout, with 20 anglers a day thrashing the water till the trout are terrified of their own shadow :( ) I fancy a spot of dry fly fishing NI style.

Anyone got any recommendations for the area? Im not sure there is even much small stream dryfly action around Rotorua? But keen to hear if iv been missing out?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Erik Moller

Re: Rotorua

Post by Erik Moller » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Hello Frazer,

I went there last year, visiting a friend in Hamurana for a few days. My first time in the NI.
While my friend does a bit of flyfishing, he's not heavily into it.
Locally we did just what you've done, the Ngongi (as called locally). As you say, extremely hammered. Only hooked a couple of fish and sent hordes fleeing upstream :D Now, if one only knew someone who could give you access to other parts than the signposted named-pool public section, I think it would be the bollocks.
Apart from that, we flew into upper Mohaka and fished another large river 2-3 hrs drive south.
Shame the Hamurana spring is closed to fishing, stunning water with some good looking fish.
I think river fishing is limited locally.

If I was to go there again (which I might, some time), I would have a look at the Waihou spring creek and tribs, should be an hour or less drive from Rotorua.

I hope someone else can give you better info and would like to hear how you do there.
Have a great time.

Erik

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:40 am

The waihou was probably one of the first vids of NZ fishing I watched, purely by chance.... It's always stuck in my mind, I now b!gger all about it.... but it does look stunning, something about the mix of water colour, instream vegetation and what look like big ass tree ferns bordering it.... (to my un-knowledgable eye, not a common site in the UK!).... Looks idyllic, the sort of spot I'd be happy just mooching about, a fish would be a bonus.

Erik Moller

Post by Erik Moller » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:35 am

Yeah, it does look stunning.
Seen it portraied on magazine and book covers.
from what I've read it's difficult fishing for small-medium sized rainbows. But as you say, the scenery alone looks worth a visit.
It's quite a big catchment with numerous tribs that might are probably worth while as well.
access to the main stem should be easy in parts, but I suppose being a lowland spring creek most of the catchment would be on farm land, requiring some goodwill from landowners.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks a ton boys!! ;)

Spring creek fishing is something i rejoice in. Not for everyone as it takes supper stealth but something I really love. From the research that looks like a fantastic spot!!

Sick of Sinkers 13

Post by Sick of Sinkers 13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:13 am

Damit....... come back fraser, :lol: :lol: im here now,

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:35 am

HEHEH you never know I might be back mate!! Wife loves the mountain biking up there, so we may just make another trip in the new year?

Sick of Sinkers 13

Post by Sick of Sinkers 13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:17 am

Its great riding isnt it, i didnt see you at the krank workx down hill doing back flips though, what happen hahaha.....flag the NGO and every other popular spot, you want little treasures like this

15-20 minutes from city centre on ......... road, heading towards ........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
some goodies to 9lb this season

Sick of Sinkers 13

Post by Sick of Sinkers 13 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:36 am

but there are NO fish in the CNI over 2lbs ;) aye garth :lol: ;)

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Sick of Sinkers 13 wrote:but there are NO fish in the CNI over 2lbs ;)
God i was worried I was going to have my shins broken by some of the behemoths charging around the the NGO bro? size of bloody kingies, not trout. 2lb pifffttt! :shock: