Fishing the Tongariro

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Nigel

Fishing the Tongariro

Post by Nigel » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Just got home from fishing the Tongariro something I have been doing for over 50 years. This trip I was struck by two things firstly how small the fish have become compared the good old days (and how poorly they fight) and secondly how so many anglers seems to have no etiquette about entering pools. This lack of basic fishing manners creates quite a lot of bad vibes and I found myself walking further and further to get away from the dredgers and bombers. My sense is the river has been taken over by fishers obsessed with some sort of numbers game with many fishers targeting spent fish. I felt quite depressed by the whole experience. Some guys I met were boasting off 10 to 20 fish days but when I looked at some of the fish they had I thought whats the point of dredging up spent fish for the sake of the numbers. Give me one fresh 3 pounder in a fast water remote river any day.

Sorry to sound so negative but I was truly quite shocked.

Johnno

Re: Fishing the Tongariro

Post by Johnno » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:22 pm

Sadly it doesn't seem much different that it was 15 odd yes ago when I last fished it later season. That's the world as the Tongariro knows it. The price the river pays.