Shaping up to be a good one

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Steve
Site Admin

Shaping up to be a good one

Post by Steve » Sun May 25, 2014 10:18 am

I talk to some of the Turangi/Taupo shop every now and again and the reports are looking good for the winter runs, Steven at Creel Tackle was telling me the fish are in good knick again this year but the river was still very low and needs a good fresh to get them running, looks like they may have their wish now;

Whio

Re: Shaping up to be a good one

Post by Whio » Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 pm

Yeah, looks like a good start Steve. A 100-150 cumic size fresh Thu/Fri this week would be perfect for the long weekend. Here's hoping.

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon May 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Just got back from a NI trip. Spent one day with the spey rod on the Tonga. Was my first visit and some what a pilgrimage for me. Didn’t land a fish, but got two hits. What an awesome piece of water it is! Im now motivated to head back there on a specific Tonga Spey trip. Maybe next winter however, as iv got a few ski touring trips planned for this winter.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Whio

Post by Whio » Mon May 26, 2014 7:26 pm

There's always the RAGE this August Fraser. If the last one is anything to go by it'll be an awesome gathering!

Some of my life I spend fly fishing, the rest I just waste!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue May 27, 2014 8:51 pm

fraser hocks wrote:Just got back from a NI trip. Spent one day with the spey rod on the Tonga. Was my first visit and some what a pilgrimage for me. Didn’t land a fish, but got two hits. What an awesome piece of water it is! Im now motivated to head back there on a specific Tonga Spey trip. Maybe next winter however, as iv got a few ski touring trips planned for this winter.
The best runs Fraser IMO are a long way off, around September through to November these days is outstanding - there has been a gradual shift towards later running fish year on year, last year being the best year I can recall in the last 8. The size of the fish was back up to a 4lb average (up to 6.5lb) and absolutely tons of them. Of course timing is crucial for a blinder... falling after a fresh is that magical time... Last years fantastic few days in September in the Youtube link below... and this was just a fraction of the fish landed to whet your appetite for a return trip. Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sONOWBPsTjs

J D

Post by J D » Wed May 28, 2014 10:29 am

Great video Andrew....looks like some awesome fishing for sure. What camera did you use...GoPro?

Cheers,
JD

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed May 28, 2014 11:08 am

Would love to make it to RAGE Whio, but me and the wife always take a couple of weeks of in August to ski, so that would be a bit of a clash of dates. Oh its a tough life, but no one understands? :lol:

That really has wet my apitite flyfish. If you get an opertunerty there are some good fish sitting in the Cattle Rustlers Pool as we speak. I had one take, but the hook didnt find its mark :( Still that gives me a good excuse to head back and get my first Tonga Fish! :D

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am

J D wrote:Great video Andrew....looks like some awesome fishing for sure. What camera did you use...GoPro?

Cheers,
JD
Using the Drift Ghost S JD, it's a far better camera for filming fishing than the GoPro, which I also used for many years, it shares the same sensor as the 3+ largely due to the video tagging feature, basically you can record non stop but not save to the card - hook a fish - tap the remote and you'll save back 2mins - current 2mins and next 2mins. It's brilliant as you never miss a hookup, also has over 4hrs battery life compared to GoPro's 2hrs max, waterproof without case, LCD screen and only a fraction bigger. Cheers

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed May 28, 2014 11:57 am

fraser hocks wrote:Would love to make it to RAGE Whio, but me and the wife always take a couple of weeks of in August to ski, so that would be a bit of a clash of dates. Oh its a tough life, but no one understands? :lol:

That really has wet my apitite flyfish. If you get an opertunerty there are some good fish sitting in the Cattle Rustlers Pool as we speak. I had one take, but the hook didnt find its mark :( Still that gives me a good excuse to head back and get my first Tonga Fish! :D
It' an enjoyable river alright Fraser, despite it's crowds, it's methods have developed to be quite specific, especially in regards to nypmhing and it fills a valuable void for those of us who still like to nail decent fish throughout the winter months!

J D

Post by J D » Wed May 28, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Andrew....going to have to take a serious look at those....I had been considering the GoPro Hero3 Black....mainly for fishing,bowhunting and flying...that non stop recording feature sounds perfect for not missing a bowhunting shot / fish hookup etc.

Cheers,
'JD

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"