May 9th to 23

The fabled waters...info and reports here
bigbowtrout

May 9th to 23

Post by bigbowtrout » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:09 am

Hello All,

I'm staying in Taupo from May 9th - 23rd. I'm hoping to get quite a few rod days in during this time. (If the GF lets me :D ). Just a couple questions for you all.

I cant seem to find a good hatch chart online, could you please assist me on some flys I should bring for this time of year.

Any recommendations on guides in the area. I'll for sure explore and fish on my own for most of my trip but paying for some local knowledge is hard to beat.

Anybody need anything from this side of the pond? (Canada)

flyfish

Re: May 9th to 23

Post by flyfish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:52 am

Bugger! I would have got you to bring over my new Alpacka raft that's on it's way, saving me $$$!

In relation to hatches, mostly running fish from the lake then (if you plan on fishing the rivers?) so, if the water is clear and nymphing (no dry fly action in May). Standard rig is a #10 bomb with a #14 trailing fly like a flashback Pheasant Tail (if water is clear) or a smal #16 Glo Bug if slightly coloured OR early morning / fast water. Sooo many variables. The local tackle shops will be a wealth of ino on what to use and will be more than happy to help.

No real need for anything bigger than a 6wt rod and 6lb leader material, if you are not used to casting big, air-resistant indicators with a long leader, this can be a challenge. Luckily the rivers have swallowed out over the years and you can get away with a 12ft leader in most situations.

Andrew Christmas is a very good option for a local guide up there. Just google his name.

Don't forget Lake Otamangakau is still open then and offers some exceptional fishing in May from the shore, have a look at a few of my recent clips for a taste of what the we lake can offer - highly recommended! Floating line, long leader and #10 Woolley Buggers there.

Regards, Andrew

bigbowtrout

Re: May 9th to 23

Post by bigbowtrout » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:35 am

Great info Andrew!!! Thanks for taking the time to reply. And great work on your videos.

Lake O is on the list for this trip (Looks awesome!!!) along with a bunch of rivers and streams. Thanks for the heads up on flys and I'll be hitting the local shops for sure for more local and time based fly advice. I just wanted to buy some new basic flys here before heading over. I'll just stock up on my normal beadheads, buggers and such. I'm bringing both a 5wt and a 7wt so I think I'm pretty well covered there. Casting the big stuff and indicators won't be an issue as we do a lot of that here at home when needed. (I'm a legend in my own mind ;) )

I'm super excited to head back over and fish a lot more then the last time I was over in 08.

Offer still stands for bring stuff over if you think it'll save you a few bucks. ( boats excluded lol )