My new PB Tongariro TROPHY!

The fabled waters...info and reports here
fraser hocks

Re: My new PB Tongariro TROPHY!

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Andrew that's just awsome. To catch a fish like that is amazing. To catch it all on film is something else.

Love that low angle so you can see the size of the fins on that fish. one word OUTSTANDING! !

Love the way you can see you hit it before the indicator ducks under. ;) You pulled it all of so calmly.. the sign of a pro!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks Fraser, yes one of the first things I noticed was the massive fins and huge kype, mean-as look'n fish! Probably why I struggled to turn it in the current, not pellet-fed tail-nippers here, just 100% wild brown! The screen grab from video came out okay in the end, this is one of the only benefits I can see of shooting in 4K... the still you can pull are very high-res. Cheers

bigbowtrout

Post by bigbowtrout » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:39 am

Congrats!!!!!!!! Awesome

upstream

Post by upstream » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 am

Lovely fish Andrew. What a mouth on that beast - I don't think it got that size eating only insects.

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 am

Well done brother -
Just seen this post as it's been the first time I've been on line in the past 2 months.

Photographing wildlife in Botswana and Kalahari and fly fishing in Oman and Egypt.

PS That other video is amazing too mate.

Kev

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue May 19, 2015 9:46 am

Shit you get around Kev! Sounds like a fantastic time, love to see some pics. It sure was a magnificent fish, very big shoulders and an apidose fin that was as big as a coffee mug, it's set a high personal benchmark to beat that's for sure. Hopefully we can manage to cross paths this coming season. Andrew

ElkHairEmerger

Post by ElkHairEmerger » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Congratulations and well done, Andrew. Thank you too, for weighing your fish. The last time I fished the Tongariro and nearby river mouths, I managed a large jack rainbow with a fat belly and large tail. The significant thing about this fish was that I could make a fist and place it in its mouth without catching its teeth. I never weighed this fish nor took photos but released it in good condition. To this day I am still curious about its weight and have never found another with these proportions. Perhaps others on the forum have had similar experiences and can offer their insight.
Again, well done Andrew. Nice to here that you were using your six weight, too.