Old books about fishing in the Taupo area?

The fabled waters...info and reports here
SparseGreyHackle

Old books about fishing in the Taupo area?

Post by SparseGreyHackle » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am

Hi Everyone,

I greatly enjoy reading the fly fishing books about the good old day on the Tongariro, Lake Taupo, and other local waters.

I am currently reading Parsons' Glory: A Bedside Book for Anglers by John Parsons. It is a delightful collection of his fishing columns written in the 70's. He also wrote another entertaining book called A Fisherman's Year.

Can you suggest other books along similar lines? Or modern books about the Taupo area?

I just found a copy of the Fishermen of Taupo (with a chapter about a close friend), but I have not read it yet.

SparseGreyHackle

Re: Old books about fishing in the Taupo area?

Post by SparseGreyHackle » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:21 am

Another fun old book about Taupo / Rotorua is Rising FIsh: Catching Trout from Taupo to the Bay of Plenty by R. Dickinson.

Also note there is a huge new book about the Tongariro called Fishing the Tongariro: A History of the Our Greatest Trout River by Grant Henderson

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:33 pm

SparseGreyHackle wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:43 am
Hi Everyone,

I greatly enjoy reading the fly fishing books about the good old day on the Tongariro, Lake Taupo, and other local waters.

I am currently reading Parsons' Glory: A Bedside Book for Anglers by John Parsons. It is a delightful collection of his fishing columns written in the 70's. He also wrote another entertaining book called A Fisherman's Year.

Can you suggest other books along similar lines? Or modern books about the Taupo area?

I just found a copy of the Fishermen of Taupo (with a chapter about a close friend), but I have not read it yet.
If you can find it, "Volcanic Trout" by Brendon Mathews (still available if you search including TM, and a real oldy, "Trout at Taupo" by O S Hintz is well worth reading if just to read about how it was done with a sinking line. Have not long given away a copy of that.

I got the other book you mention, Fisherman of Taupo for Xmas - leaving it for a very rainy day.

SparseGreyHackle

Post by SparseGreyHackle » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:41 pm

I checked out the Taupo library today, and they have a special publication listing John Parsons' book collection (which I assume was donated to the library on his passing). They also have a variety of titles by him. I picked up A Taupo Season by Parsons and Gary Kemsley's Taupo Fishing Guide at an antique's shop today.