Taupo in March

The fabled waters...info and reports here
Southshore

Taupo in March

Post by Southshore » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:38 pm

Taking a bit of a pot luck trip up to Taupo, staying at TRM Turangi. There's a bit going on up there at the moment, with the hydro people doubling the Tongariro rvr flow due to shutting off the Poutu canal. This will be good for the river in the form of flushing out a lot of silt and restoring the insect life. On the other hand it may be tough on rainbows and I'm not expecting any bonanza of fishing - brown trout may be a different story - hugging the quiet water. I've tied up some big creeper style nymphs for the faster and maybe coloured water and woolly buggers may come into their own on the swing. An alternative is the Tauranga-Taupo, a smaller flow which has been pretty steady lately. My little Redington 4 weight will do nicely in this piece of water which I've fished successfully before. It really is a delightful place to be when it's not crowded. Other than that, Lk Kuratau or the big O. Arrive Turangi on Sunday 12th March so we'll see how we go. Ross & Pip will have a pretty good idea what's going on and as someone has mentioned on this forum, there's always the Tokaanu hot pools. Cheers

Southshore

Re: Taupo in March

Post by Southshore » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:25 pm

River is well up but clear, double normal flow. Rainbows are conspicuously absent and the browns not in great numbers. Talking to an angler at the Hydro this morning, he blames the Poutu canal closure as major reason why fishing is so poor and it appears instead of encouraging fish into the river from the lake, the double flow appears to be chasing them out. I fished from the Bridge to the Birches, including a trip over the Major Jones swing bridge to the Breakfast pool - nothing doing. Tomorrow we will go north to the TT and checked that out - they are taking a few fish at the outlet into the lake. Tokaanu hot pools good tonight.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:28 pm

Last day today and after a hectic day yesterday, took it easy and spent some time at the Tokaanu hot pools treating sore bones and muscles. Yesterday we went to the Red Hut pool but there were anglers there, and at the tail of Waddell's, who had never heard of river manners or courtesy so left and went to the Judges - nothing doing in either. Later in the arvo, visited what was once the lower Bridge pool - now a straight run - and although there was some good water here, nothing came to either the nymph or swing. Conclusion? unless you have excellent or assisted local knowledge you will most likely dip out. There may be several reasons why the fish are staying out, but they will come back, and those on the river when they do will have great sport. The Creel Cafe & shop are still the best in Turangi for coffee and a chat to the Army of One - Tim, who works there in the shop a few days a week and posts reports & video on facebook, also the Tokaanu hot pools (and they are hot) are great for aching bones. I'll be back in Twizel next month as the canal waters cool down and hope for some good fishing. Cheers

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:53 pm

Thanks for the updates Brian, shame you didn't find more fish there...

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:34 pm

Yeah Steve I got skunked over 6 days - disappointed friends up there didn't warn me the river was virtually empty and I could have saved my shekels for a later day (or spent them in the S.I.)
Hopefully will get a trip back to Twizel before the big freeze - better value the way things are going up north. I did try your cicadas but there was nothing to look at them ! cheers