Has anyone heard or seen cicadas on the high country lakes?

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Part Time Fly Fisher

Has anyone heard or seen cicadas on the high country lakes?

Post by Part Time Fly Fisher » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Just wondering if the cicadas are flying yet, the weather has been so changeable so far, and the warm weather doesn't seem to be lasting long enough to get them out and flying. Any info would be a great help
Regards
Part Time Fly Fisher

Maniototoflyfisher

Re: Has anyone heard or seen cicadas on the high country lakes?

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:58 pm

Just back from the P. The odd cicada on the water and the odd fish taking them. By noon the wind was very strong and didn't see any more flying or floating. Landed 4 and 5lber and 3 other takes without hookup. I suspect the dam between you and me will be the same - just starting but the heat this coming week should get them going. I know a party that went to the L today- will find out more and report.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Apparently on the L dam cicadas have been flying all week. Had a look today - there were cicadas on the water from 8.30am. By 9.30 the trout were rising/splashing everywhere. By noon the action had almost stopped- presume most fish were full as were the seagulls. When I left at 4pm cicadas were still flying. From 10 till 3 there would have been millions on the dam - easy to see 20 or 30 cicadas on the water in front - the wind got strong and moved them out of sight quickly but they kept coming!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am

Noice!

This time last year at the other end of the road we got a Nor'west day where it was 35 degree's and nothing flew, or swam, or even shuffled past us. We had to bail to the comfort of the nearest art deco pub to recover. Unfortunately it was also the day when their A/C stopped.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:39 am

GOT BACK LAST NIGHT FROM MY FAVOURITE PUDDLE . THAT LAKE IS BEHAVING MUCH AS MANIOTOTO F/F IS DESCRIBING . SOME DAYS FISH GORGING TILL MID AFTNN -- OTHER DAYS EARLIER FINISH . CICADA FISHING IS OFTEN INTERMITTENT .
THE ONES WE KEPT WERE CHOCA BLOCK WITH CICADA - THEIR BELLIES STRETCHING - GROANING !! THEY MAKE MY EATING HABITS LOOK TEMPERATE . AS LONG AS THE CICADAS KEEP EMERGING IN THIS HEAT THE FISH WILL KEEP GORGING FOR WINTER
(this year they're really switched on). HINT - LOOK FOR GROUPS OF SEAGULLS SITTING ON WATER - THATS WHERE THE CICADAS ARE BEING BLOWN TO ;) OF COURSE IT'S JUST OUT OF YOUR CASTING REACH :P >