This Season's Fishing

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Dave

This Season's Fishing

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 pm

It is time someone actually started talking about fishing instead of politics.
Down here in Southland it has been a pretty tough start to the season. There was a lot of rain late September and all the main rivers were high for opening. They did drop quite a bit then there was a lot of snow and with that melting they have stayed high.
I have had some interesting days out including some nice weather but each time there has been a lot of water although it has generally been reasonably clear. However landing fish with the high flows has at times been pretty exciting and quite a few have not made it to the net. In spite of the high flows it has been a pretty good start to the season.
Interesting last week (on a week day) I fished the Oreti at the Gravel Pit beat. This is the third to bottom of the beats. When we finished there were cars at both the beats below this. This to me indicates that getting onto a beat on the Upper Oreti later in the season is going to be tough.
Dave

Trout United

Re: This Season's Fishing

Post by Trout United » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:43 pm

Dave
How's the Matarua and the Aparima fishing?

On opening day i came across another 8 anglers in a 5 mile stretch of my local river.
I've seen only another 2 since then.

All our rivers are low and this is concerning for this time of the year as we haven't had enough rain, nor enough snow, in the surrounding mountains, to keep a cool flow during summer.

tight lines

Jim

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Up here in Nelson, my home stream, the Riuwaka is pretty much gone thanks to the Feb Cyclone, very very few fish and lotsa silt... the insect numbers are way down too. It might recover, but it’ll be a long while. Not really worth fishing, particularly the lower half which is completely fucked.....

Other local rivers holding up ok but if it’s a dry hot summer I’d say we’ll have temp issues like everywhere else..

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:27 pm

Jim
The Mataura has been high and I haven't been near it. I have fished the Aparima and it has had a lot of water but has been reasonably clear. I have fished it 4 times with reasonable results but it is up again after rain in the last couple of days. Wading has been difficult and you have had to pick where you are going to cross.
Dave

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Haven't been out for a proper fish yet... went for a walk with my daughter and managed a couple of fit browns. Rivers are still low and clear, no significant rain over winter and so far this spring means the fish and rivers are in good shape!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:16 pm

My local is flowing well in the mountains, but when it joins the main river it's barely a trickle.

All the farmers are sucking it dry. It's heading towards drying out before Christmas at this rate.

Might have to move to fishing the lakes if we don't get a good dump dumping soon :cry:

Good to see your getting out Steve.
Good to see you're rivers are running well Dave.
From what i can recall last season they weren't in good condition this time round?

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:23 am

I had a ball at the start of the season. Took the first two weeks of to fish. I moved around a lot to target the best water on the day, and did pretty well. Got around 10-15 fish on open day, mostly on mayfly patterns, and that was the name of the game for most of the next couple of weeks.

Since then, iv not had much chance to get out but when I have its been reasonable. Had a poor day on Sunday gone. When north to a lovely river. Unfortunately so did many people to camp for the long weekend. High water levels and lots of people swimming and floating down river really put the fish down, still I managed 5 fish for the day.

Excuse my photographic ability. I cant be asse'd carrying a proper camera, so just use my phone for everything. :oops:

My wifes first fish of the season. Caught on her birthday (a few days prior) present of a lovely new Swift 590C custom built rod with metallic blue everything.

PS. Steve I love the photo posting setup on the forum! Works magnificently. ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:48 am

Thought I'd had a reasonable start to the season until I read your post Fraser. I've managed to land 10 - 15 fish up till now - not 10 - 15 per day!! My local river has been high with minimal insect activity but in the last few days has dropped dramatically. Had a interesting morning on a local dam in the kayak- it was breezy but every so often it calmed and fish rose to midges. Managed to land 3 from 3.5lb to 4.5lb. Another morning on a backwater that had recently shrunk saw fish in a few inches of water cruising with their backs exposed. Managed 4 from 3 to 5lb on a corixa. Won't talk about the morning on another backwater where I saw more than 30 fish and seemed to frighten them all - fluked a fish out of the river on the way home to break my duck! Have only seen the odd rise in the river but managed to fool a few with a CDC emerger. Must take more photos.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:37 pm

This

From here

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:51 am

Magic little stream there Johnno.

Not going to ask the name, as i know it would be met with disdain. :x