New Fish and Game Council members from the forum

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Andy W

New Fish and Game Council members from the forum

Post by Andy W » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:10 am

Congrats to Steve Gerard and Paul Centofanti, who were both elected to the Central South Island Fish and Game Council this week. No pressure lads 😊.

Interesting to note that the voter turnout was an average of 27.5% across NZ… Highest polling region Taranaki and the lowest was Otago – didn’t help the hard working Fraser Hocks at all. It is good to see Dave Harris and Mike Hartstonge both returned in Southland too. Keep up the battle fella's!

fraser hocks

Re: New Fish and Game Council members from the forum

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:33 am

Congratulations boys! Good to see some top people got spots.

Realistically I could have done a bit more electioneering, but these days that seems to be the land of social media which other than this forum I'm not really into. Ah well there is always next time! Iv got good faith in people like Ian Hadland and Rick Boyd to do the right thing for the Otago region, so will offer what ever support I can to them.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:18 am

Good luck and keep that flag flying.

Great to see dedication to the cause.

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 pm

I am truly sorry to see you didn't get in Fraser. :cry:
I thought you would have been a shue in, especially with you back ground and club membership, along with your work as a ranger.
It's people like you that the Fish & Game councils need more of.

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Agree with your post above Jim. What I can't get my head around is that only 1 in 5 licensed anglers who were registered to vote in Otago and who were sent voting papers bothered to tick some boxes and post back (or do online) - I'd guarantee a greater percentage would have a view on how our trout/salmon fishery is managed if you asked them directly!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Thanks Jim and Dave.

Yea I do feel its a bit of a muck around the voting process. Even ensuring that your resisted to vote is a bit cumbersome. A couple of our club members wanted to vote, but were overseas at the time, and since your registration number for voting is sent by mail to your house, the only way you can vote if overseas is to get someone to open your mail and send you the details. A few also commented that they had quite a time making sure that they were resisted to vote. You would think it would be made a little easier for those to register and vote. Might have to get the message out a little louder and clearer next time?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

27.5% turnout is pathetic really. Pathetic and apathetic.

We all get up at arms with regards to the current legislation before parliament but the organisation that looks after the resource we use as trout fishers.... they get largely ignored by the trout fishing public when it comes to putting the right people into the councils of the various regions. 27 out of every 100 licence holders voting....? It’s crap!

You only have to look at a couple of the South Island Councils in the recent past - one in particular - to see the distractions, incompetence and mess that can be created by that angler apathy and poor voter turnout putting the wrong people on the councils. Not a good look.

And that detracts and detours from the work F and G should be doing.

And add to that the quiet little swell of general public opinion regarding trout being a noxious pest. ( yes it’s there and very quietly getting bigger...)

It’s little wonder that the Min: Conservation can think she can put the legislation on the table that she has and think she can get away with it. She knows how apathetic the majority of NZ Freshwater anglers are!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:47 am

Unfortunately Johnno, that aforementioned council thought that they were doing a great job and were held in "High Regard" amongst the community and fishing community of New Zealand, including the sitting Chairman.

One fisherman i live with, saw the "Election letter" didn't realize it was the Fish & Game elections letter and threw it out, thinking it was some information on some up and coming election.
To him there was no indication of it being "fish & game" elections.

I wonder how many anglers did this?

Do any of the 8,000 overseas anglers get to vote?

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:48 am

Or have the right to vote?

Dave, Fraser, you'd both know more about who has the right to vote.