2018 resident fishing licence change

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
canuck

2018 resident fishing licence change

Post by canuck » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:54 am

I was just looking at the 2018 licence page and noticed a change to the requirements for a resident licence and I am interested in your thoughts on this.

Last year you could purchase a resident fishing licence if you were a citizen or a permanent resident visa holder. With either one of these you didn't need to actually reside in NZ just meet one of those qualifications. For clarity permanent resident visa holder allows the person to live, work, come and go from NZ, vote, it doesn't need to be renewed and is one step below being a citizen from a rights perspective.

This year it says: a Citizen of NZ or ordinarily resides in NZ on October 1st.

Apparently this is to close some loop holes? I'm not sure why they removed permanent residents and I am curious as to what "ordinarily resides in NZ" means? I did ask F & G for clarification but I haven't heard back from them.

Your thoughts?

Canuck

Johnno

Re: 2018 resident fishing licence change

Post by Johnno » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:31 am

I’d say that’d mean you live in NZ, have an address in NZ are a citizen or resident ( granted residency) in NZ, much like for eg, I could say I ordinarily reside at 1 Smith Street Jonestown New Zealand That’d be my normal address. If you are a visitor here - a citizen of another country then you wouldn’t ordinarily live here, even if you were here on a 12 month working visa or 6 month holiday visa or whatever.

My SO is Tasmanian. ( she’s a fiery redhead so don’t hold that against her..) she holds a Aust passport but is an NZ resident. Been here for 20 odd years. She qualifes for I’d say, for “ Ordinarily resides in New Zealand”

That’d be my interpretation of that.
?

A grey area may be for someone like an embassy worker. Would an embassy worker living in Wellington in for eg the Indian embassy for 3 years be regarded as “ ordinarily residing in NZ”. I dunno.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Humm the f&g website used to point to the department of immigration website for the definition of residency. Obviously that has changed considerably since.

I do question the current wording myself. Here in Queenstown we have many tourists renting accommodation for a couple of months and therefore are considered residence under the current system. essentially any tourist could put down their hotel address and get a resident licence now. My guess is that non resident licence sales might be close to zero this year? Hummm

My definition (and I'm not saying I'm right) is if you can't produce a New Zealand passport then you need a non-resident licence.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Fraser I think you are geting a bit tough. The old rules used to refer to a work visa but of course Australians can work in NZ for years and don't need a visa. Technically under the old rules even if they lived here they didn't have a visa so needed a non-resident licence. If you live here or have an NZ passport you should be okay.
Dave

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Dave
Technically any Australian living here doesn't need a visa and is classified as a resident.
Therefore in the past and now in the present is allowed a Resident License.

Maybe they should just introduce an ANZAC license and everyone else license. :D
That would ease confusion. :lol:

Sagecaster

Post by Sagecaster » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm

I don't mind paying for a licence to fish across the ditch. But a combined ANZAC licence would be a great idea.
Bring it on. :P .

canuck

Post by canuck » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 am

It would seem they have opened the door to a person who is residing in NZ for a shorter duration: student, work visa etc, the line doesn't seem very clear? Can you come for a 3 month stay with an intent to extend your visa to 6 months and say that you are residing in NZ as Fraser indicated?

As well for Aussies that are working and living in NZ it seems to me to be really different.The previous iteration was very specific to citizens and permanent resident visa holders, under the old regulation a Aussie living in NZ wouldn't have qualified, under the new regulation they do( my interpretation).

I am still not sure why they would have closed the door on Permanent residents that aren't currently residing in NZ?

From my perspective at this point it isn't about the extra money(its 36 bucks) for the non resident licence. I think that it is likely that NZ will put restrictions on non resident access to some areas which will obviously have an impact. At this point it would seem to me that the student etc who is here for a short duration would have better access to the fishery than a person with residency?

I have pasted in the address of the legislation, you can access the previous year there as well.

Canuck
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulati ... 1#LMS75526

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Trout United wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Technically any Australian living here doesn't need a visa and is classified as a resident.
Therefore in the past and now in the present is allowed a Resident License.
No that's not correct. A few Australians purchasing resident licences that were living here have had the back of their wrist slapped for doing that.

To put it into context I had a fella and his son last year that could only provide an address in Kuala Lumpur, had a very thick Australian accent and when I questioned him about only having a resident licence his reasoning is that he lived in NZ briefly as a youngster so therefore he and his son should be classed as a resident.

I look forward to seeing any changes in volume of non-resident licence sales this year, as I feel that under the current classification there will be very few "non-residents" fishing in NZ :roll:

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:33 pm

fraser hocks wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
No that's not correct. A few Australians purchasing resident licences that were living here have had the back of their wrist slapped for doing that.
Just to clarify that statement. If an Australian entering the country ticks one of the boxes under the question "How long do you intend on staying in New Zealand" on there arrival card as anything other than Permanently, then they are not recognized as being a resident by the immigration department. Otherwise as I stated above anyone from the 50+ countries on the list of countries that don't require a visa to come to NZ can effectively now tick that Permanently box, give the address of the hotel they are staying in and perfectly legitimately call themselves a resident in the view of F&G

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:13 pm

fraser hocks wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm
No that is not correct.

As an Australian living here i am classified as a "permanent resident" without requiring a visa.

Therefore, in the past and in the present, i can purchase a resident license.
I have spoken to both Immigration and Fish & Game regarding this issue.