FORGET DIDYMO THIS IS WORSE

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Johnno

FORGET DIDYMO THIS IS WORSE

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:10 pm

This has potential to completely fuck everything

Take action and spread far and wide NOW

Tell every fisherman you know and tell them to take action. This MUST be stopped

https://fishandgame.org.nz/threat-to-tr ... Y.facebook
Last edited by Johnno on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnno

Re: FORGET DIDYMO THIS IS WORSE

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm

the_skunk_whisperer

Post by the_skunk_whisperer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Wonder what heat tolerances galaxids and native fish have? I'd be surprised if they handle warm water better than trout, and if they don't then it'd be a waste of time ridding the rivers of trout (apart from to spoil your recreation of course).

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm

This is the guts of the Bill...

The threat to trout posed by the Bill

The Bill seeks to provide better protection for indigenous freshwater fish.
These fish species include whitebait, also known as galaxids, eels, bullies, torrent fish, mud fish and others.

The full detail of the amendment bill can be found here

Fish & Game supports efforts to provide better protection for indigenous freshwater fish.

However, that should not be at the expense of trout and other freshwater sports fish, nor the more than hundred thousand anglers who value these fish for the recreational, cultural and economic benefits they provide.

The Amendment Bill as it is now written contains several aspects which pose a threat to trout fishing in New Zealand.

Clause 5:

Clause 5 gives DOC’s freshwater fisheries management plans priority over Fish & Game’s fish and game management plans.
Clause 5 allows the Minister to adopt a national freshwater fisheries management plan which prevails over Fish & Game management plans.
This is despite both plans having the same legal status under the Act.
Clause 5 would allow DOC to remove all trout and salmon from particular rivers or lakes, even if those waterways have been identified as significant trout and salmon habitat. This is likely to result in catchments where DOC, Iwi and regional councils can establish management regimes which exclude trout.
Clause 6:

Clause 6 exempts anyone authorised under Treaty settlement legislation from restrictions on taking, possessing or selling sportsfish.
Clause 6 allows the Crown and iwi to set aside present rules as part of a treaty settlement.
Clause 6 allows the removal of present bans on the sale of fishing rights.
Clause 6 allows the removal of present bans on the sale of sports fish.
Clause 6 removes the requirement for occupiers of land to comply with trout fishing rules and regulations, although they would still need a licence.
Clause 6 opens up the potential for direct conflict between Treaty settlement legislation and sports fishing.

Clause 17:

Clause 17 revokes several existing regulations allowing Fish & Game to manage trout and other sports fish.
In particular, Clause 17 would no longer require a Fish & Game region’s consent for the release of fish or ova, or transfer of sports fish and ova between the North and South Islands.
The Bill reduces Fish & Game’s right to be consulted as managers of sports fish to the same level as any member of the public.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Took quite a while to get to the page. I'm guessing it's getting hit so many times that it's slowing the site down?

Hell I don't think whoever put this bill up is really for the backlash there about to get?

Load the cannons, and fire in my order!!!!!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:48 pm

You see what I mean? Forget overcrowding, forget lake snot or didymo, forget F and G elections and who is doing what with funds, forget everything.

This has the potential to destroy everything we love to do.

Period.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 pm

Crikey, what is going on in this country...

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm

A coalition Govt with the Greens in conservation.

I remember everyone wanting a change of govt a coupla years back.....

well....

reap as sown.....

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 am

If you read the presentation to Parliament which is on Hansard, the Minister alluded to the likely issues that this bill will cause if it remains unchanged for current stakeholders Fish and Game (and DoC - or there was a dig at DoC by another Minister?), and said the first thing that was needed was consultation at select committee level. We will get that via our fishery managers.

Not saying that a 110,000 emails/ letters to the select committee members wouldn't be effective (and it would more likely be 5000 emails as the other 105,000 anglers are apathetic), but I think that for the time being until Fish and Game present their concerns to us as stakeholders we should wait.

But yeah – Steve hit it on the nail.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 am

Can someone wake me up? I'm having a nightmare that I'm back living in Australia!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

So let me get this right? The government wants to give DOC the ability to remove trout from our rivers? The same mob that is currently dumping how many tons of 1080 into the wilderness "to save it" ? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!