Etiquette

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
George123

Etiquette

Post by George123 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 pm

We are visiting Anglers from Australia.
Can anyone please clarify if you need to seek landowner permission to cross land that is designated as "Angler Access" by Fish & Game?
We understood that the permission to access via the "Angler Access" has been negotiated with the landowner so that individual anglers do not have to seek permission?
However, last trip we were confronted by a very angry and aggressive landowner who bailed us up and said that although the "Angler Access" was displayed we still needed his permission to cross the land.
We, of course, understand that landowner permission should be sought in areas that have no "Angler Access" signs and we have done so with great results from friendly and hospitable landowners, however we want to do the right thing.
Can anyone advise on this issue.

Andy W

Re: Etiquette

Post by Andy W » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:57 am

Tough one, as like you did I would presume that if there is an angler access sign then the local F&G office had already done the hard yards, and no further effort was required if there were no conditions mentioned at the access point, or any more details about the access point mentioned on their website. I presume it was a genuine F&G Angler Access, and not one placed by (for instance) a fishing club?

Maybe next time you are intending to go to that same spot call or email the local F&G office (if your emailing include the Fish and Game Officers, as they often work remotely and know the lay of the land), and give then some details of your last experience to see if they have any idea of what may have changed. It could be something as small as the owner of the land changed, and the new owner feels that the local F&G office should therefore be on his doorstep to ask for access, and haven't done so. It might just be lambing season - happens in the south a lot, including for DoC easements.

F&G put in a lot of effort with their signage to ensure details are correct, so they would be the first to want to know something is wrong.

Andy W

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Yea as Andy said, id talk to the local F&G rangers first. Land does change hands regularly and its often some poor fisho that happens to be the first since change of hands to cop the brunt of a disgruntled land owner. If in doubt always ask is the way I take it. Some land owners are good as well at ensuring the some spots aren't over pressured. Not much good in going into a spot if 4 people have been over it that day already.

Some F&G access points will have a notice to call the land owner first, and I always do this, even at spots that see a lot of anglers that lack the etiquette to do so. I always put it to people as to how they would feel if you were to come home and some bloke was wandering around their back yard, un-announced?

On a positive note, iv be abused by land owners for merely asking for access when I lived in Australia. Since moving to NZ iv had quite the opposite experience with many land owners pointing out good pools to fish and techniques to get results on the river that their allowing access to.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:39 pm

THE BELOW MAY BE OF HELP .....

https://fishandgame.org.nz/about/f-and- ... nd-access/

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WEBSITE THAT CAN BE USED TO SEARCH OUT LANDOWNERS NAME TO A GIVEN PIECE OF WATER :?:

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 pm

fraser hocks wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:46 pm
On a positive note, iv be abused by land owners for merely asking for access when I lived in Australia. Since moving to NZ iv had quite the opposite experience with many land owners pointing out good pools to fish and techniques to get results on the river that their allowing access to.
How is that a positive note? Being abused by a land owners :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've always asked and have never been abused or refused entry in both New Zealand and Australia.
Most farmers don't mind "Fly Fisherman"

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 am

Err yea, maybe I worded that a little wrong hey? :oops:

Cant say I know of a direct way TIDDLER. I have used local council online GIS systems to find out who owns what land and then from that used a bit of sleuthing to find out contact details. But iv never found a direct way of finding it out.

Have to say, what it does highlight though is the amount of public road reserve that some farmers fence off and sign as private property! :evil: WE recently had one of our club members abused by a land owner for being on "private land" when he was actually stood in public road reserve.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm

THANKYOU - WILL TRY THAT GIS SYSTEM .

LIKE YOU WE HAVE A COUPLE OF CLOWNS IN OUR AREA BUT MOST FARMERS ARE VERY GOOD . ONE IDIOT IS BLOCKING A HUGE AREA OF WATER (his predecessors had been brilliant - even putting in gates for anglers and family picnickers to get better access to their favourite spots . So whats changed ? - just an anti angling cocky )

George123

Post by George123 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.
I still guess it may be wise to ask permission but I will contact fish & Game to see what the protocol is.
Cheers to all the people who have posted, it does help
Regards
George