Any luck?

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
WiscoNZ

Any luck?

Post by WiscoNZ » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Went out last Monday on my favourite river that still has an all year stretch open, it was horrible fishing. Saw maybe 3 fish. Caught nothing. We're pretty sure they've all moved up by now. Just curious if anyone else out there is having luck on rivers still or should I just moved to lakes now?

Dave

Re: Any luck?

Post by Dave » Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am

Was out on Wednesday on the Mataura (still open below Gore) and there was an afternoon rise. They were only small fish with the biggest landed being 1 1.2 lbs. Will be out again tomorrow.
Dave

WiscoNZ

Post by WiscoNZ » Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am
Was out on Wednesday on the Mataura (still open below Gore) and there was an afternoon rise. They were only small fish with the biggest landed being 1 1.2 lbs. Will be out again tomorrow.
Dave
Thats pretty deep south, do they move up earlier in the season there? What you're usual average on that river?

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 am

I have hardly fished the Mataura since the end of January as it has been pretty high and carrying a bit of colour most of the time. Also I don't normally fish this low down, mainly when the rest of the river is closed so I don't really have an average available. The fish I caught are probably too young (and too small) to spawn.
I may head up country tomorrow to a lake tributary to see if I can catch some browns moving up or some resident rainbows. Hopefully I will find some better sized fish there.
Dave

scotish wildfisher

Post by scotish wildfisher » Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi most of the fish down there are around 2.5 lbs.If you catch enough of them then a 4 or 5 lb fish might turn up during the day.There is usually a good afternoon rise.Ive never fished it during the evening.Theres more fish than upper beats. James

WiscoNZ

Post by WiscoNZ » Sat May 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Any one had luck in the hydro canals? My friend has went down 3 weeks in a row and caught nothing big at all.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm

WiscoNZ wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Any one had luck in the hydro canals? My friend has went down 3 weeks in a row and caught nothing big at all.
You might an idea of how it is going down there from the Complete Angler FB page, as there has been a lot of canal fishers posting on there in the past.

Generally speaking "nothing big" is better than "nothing at all" - which is what it can be like if there are no escapees. If I had $100.00 for every day I was there and hooked nothing at all targeting salmon and monsters, and the same applied to the gun fisho's doing the miles up and down, then I would have a good chunk of dosh in my bank account to spend on more fishing gear. Much more enjoyable going to fish it for the 3 lb'ers on a caddis at night in summer.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Mon May 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi WISCONZ - I THOUGHT FRASER MIGHT HAVE COME IN HERE BUT HE IS OBVIOUSLY BEING MODEST :P

GO TO .... GENERAL FLY FISHING >PAGE 4 > CANAL FISH ...... MAYBE FRASER GOT THE LAST ONE :P
Al.

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Mon May 28, 2018 2:42 pm

I think WISCONZ is talking about in the "now", not the "past", Tiddler :? :? :?

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue May 29, 2018 11:03 am

HEhehe Ah that was a couple of years ago now Tiddler. Me and the wife might pop up the canals this weekend though. You never know your luck up there. I know of more than a few very competent anglers that have gone there for multiple weekends and blanked. A bit of luck involved on top of some skill and ability to keep warm when its a cold as a charity!

Actually I just spent the weekend down in Te Anau out with the team at Fiordland Outdoors Co. Jet boating out on the Waiau. Fishing mostly the double handers. God what a blast!! Honestly if you haven't done it yet guys, get down there. Although it does close up in a couple of days. Il put a post up about the weekend shortly. Many fish caught and in an amazing location. The team that run the business are incredibly professional and just a really nice bunch. Trust me if you go out for a day with these guys you will have your mind blown by the quality, quantity of fish in the system. We only scratched the surface of what is available there, but will be back to explore more of it in the new season.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!