Fly Fishing NZ - Video Clip **South**

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
WiscoNZ

Re: Fly Fishing NZ - Video Clip **South**

Post by WiscoNZ » Wed May 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Awesome vid with the drone. Question, were you fishing several different rivers in this vid or one long trip? What was your biggest this year as well.

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 pm

I don't see it as much different than climbing up a cliff to spot Fraser, but many wouldn't agree with it on principle and that's fine. It's great to simply see if there are any fish present in the run at all prior to fishing, but battery life and weather can mar this.

WiscoNZ, thanks, was over about 4 different rivers in Otago and on the Wes Coast, biggest on this trip would have gone between 7lb and 8lb from the Mataura Big one on the clip - which is a pretty big fish for the upper river, it pulled the McLean net scales to 7lb easy, but they are quite worn and sticky. We still always get the biggest fish at home in Wellington however! Biggest for 2018 so far is a Rainbow at 5.5kg or just over 12lbs, brown around 8lbs. Cheers

WiscoNZ

Post by WiscoNZ » Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 pm

I gotta get over to the west coast. I might try some winter fishing up there. A lot of stuff on the coast still open. We've been averaging 7lbs on the browns in the plains so that makes me feel good about what we're doing here. That water looked so fishable though. Seeing those fish so clear ahead looks so exciting. You gonna put up the video footage of the accidental spooks lol?

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu May 03, 2018 9:43 am

Yea true. I see your point. I do like the idea of using stream craft to assess where fish might be and to fish to them. On the other hand to be able to scan the river and target the BIG fish has its appeal as well. Had a mate over last night that's just getting into double handers. Turns out he has a DJI as well. I think some empirical testing is in order!! 8-)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!