Salmon Symposium

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
fraser hocks

Re: Salmon Symposium

Post by fraser hocks » Fri May 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Iv just discovered this document from 1987.

http://docs.niwa.co.nz/library/public/NZffr92.pdf

Some good weekend reading for me!! ;)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Fri May 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Seems like a cheap cop out Fraser (pardon the Pun) by the contractors.
There should a fish ladder on every dam built.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Fri May 04, 2018 10:13 pm

fraser hocks wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:55 pm
Iv just discovered this document from 1987.

http://docs.niwa.co.nz/library/public/NZffr92.pdf

Some good weekend reading for me!! ;)
That's a big document, lets us know when you get to the end Fraser :)

Found this quote;

"Some regard the salmon as a major attractìon, while others
consider that these fish do 'inestimable damage to the
spawnìng beds of brown and rainbow trout. Most sportsmen
agree that the fishing would be very considerably improved if
there were no salmon ..." (Otago Daily T'imes,4 Aprìl 1950)

Crikey, that's some statement - it's very noticeable since the decline in the numbers of salmon in the Rakaia for instance, the size and condition of the trout has decrease with it. And likewise, I often hear salmon anglers blaming trout for eating all of their fry... from my observations the two species get along pretty well together, what they both need is a healthy environment to prosper!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat May 12, 2018 2:50 pm

on April 20th I wrote .....
RECENTLY I HAVE ATTENDED DISCUSSIONS ABOUT THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF SALMON RUNS AND WHERE THE FISH WERE SPAWNING .

WELL THIS PAST WEEK I AGAIN ATTENDED FURTHER DISCUSSIONS . WE HAD TWO SENIOR MANAGEMENT FROM CONTACT ENERGY AND A - F & G REPRESENTATIVE . THIS WAS AN INFORMATIVE AND ENLIGHTENING MEETING .
"CONTACT" REASSURED US THAT THE DAM WAS TO REMAIN COMMISSIONED FOR MANY YEARS TO COME . MORE IMPORTANTLY (from our point of view) THEY ASSURED US THAT THEY WERE GOING TO GET A SALMON HATCHERY IN PLACE . (after all they have spent more than a million $$ so far on stocking the river with fry and fingerlings - all to no avail ) . WE RECKON THOSE THAT DID SURVIVE PROBABLY RETURNED TO THE RIVERS THEY WERE HATCHED IN :(
"CONTACT" ARE NOW IN THE PROCESS OF WORKING OUT WHICH CONSENTS ARE NECESSARY (heaps) AND GETTING THOSE APPLICATIONS IN PLACE.

THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN - WE WONT LET IT NOT HAPPEN NOW :P I WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED OVER THE NEXT 2yrs .

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:29 am

THIS GIVES A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO .......
"THE GREAT ESCAPE !" :P

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka/sa ... lyse-genes

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:49 pm

THE BELOW ARTICLE SHOWS THAT THE ROXBURGH HATCHERY, AS I HAVE MENTIONED ABOVE , IS STILL VERY MUCH IN THE PIPELINE .
ALSO THAT EFFORTS ARE BEING MADE TO REVIVE THE EXISTING STOCKS IN OTHER RIVERS

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/north-ota ... on-fishery

SLOWLY SLOWLY - CATCHY MONKEY ;) .

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:29 pm

Must say – I am very glad I gave up on that salmon fishing malarkey in the mid 90’s on the right side of the ledger, and instead went to the light side to take up fly fishing. These days I give it an hour once a year, then put down the hardware and pick up the fly rod in search of a trout in the Waitaki.

It’s good to see that the efforts of those persons in Otago to establish the fishery in the harbour many years ago is still paying dividends, despite attempted predation at the Sawyers Bay site each year. WT hell do they persist trying?

As for this new group, the Sea Run Salmon Committee... There have been many postings in social media about the proposed changes – the next anglers review meeting in NC could be interesting if they push the whole raft of proposed changes. As long as they don’t mess with trout fishing – no issue. But if they do push for reduced opportunity there as well, then they can expect some very vocal feedback. And the interesting point is why have they not also targeted the Rakaia, which has by their own admission gone into serious decline as a trout and salmon fishery? Possibly because they’re bloody meat hunters who predominantly fish the Rakaia?

Steve may wish to comment about the rule change process in CSI – last I heard they were on the opposite cycle to NC, so not something lightly considered just because of the costs of changing signage etc.

On another note – I saw the volunteer hatchery on the Waitaki in the weekend and what a top bunch of folks doing it hard. All the stock has to come from Waitaki salmon caught by trapping the Haka. No female returns last year – so no eggs. To make it worse – their 1 year old stock from the previous season got targeted by shags and decimated, so they are down to 80 fish to bring to sexual maturity to strip for ova and milt in 2 years. That’s doing it hard.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 pm

ANOTHER ARTICLE ON SALMON FISHING (this time landlocked)

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka/la ... -fish-game

ONE OF MY SPECIAL MEMORIES AS A YOUNGSTER IS A FISHING / CAMPING TRIP WITH MY DAD AT HAWEA .
TWO SPECIAL MEMORIES ....
a) CATCHING A LANDLOCKED SALMON (I thought it to be the most beautiful / pretty fish I'd ever seen !)
b) A HERD OF COWS TRAMPLED OUR TENT INTO THE GROUND SQUASHING OUR ALUMINIUM BILLY - POT & FRY PAN.

NOW'DAYS (more than 50yrs later)THE CATTLE ARE STILL A PROBLEM AND THE PRETTY FISH ARE GETTING PRETTY RARE. :( .

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:46 pm

Presume you weren't in the tent TIDDLER 🤕

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm

:D :lol: YEH ! I GOT OUT BUT DAD KEPT THROWING ME BACK IN :P .