*Video Clip* - TURANGI - Mates & Fly Fishing

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
flyfish

*Video Clip* - TURANGI - Mates & Fly Fishing

Post by flyfish » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 am

Fun, laughs and a few trout with Matt Hince and Mike Kirkpatrick last weekend out of Turangi, this clip has it all... even winter dry fly action! Enjoy, Andrew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGUyKtcKYYw

fraser hocks

Re: *Video Clip* - TURANGI - Mates & Fly Fishing

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

Lovely work Andrew, as always! Your lucky up your way, with so many rivers still open at this time of year.

I'm looking forward to next month, when everything starts to open down here. Me and the wife are going to book a trip to Turangi for late autumn 2018, between the closure of most rivers down here, and before the ski fields open. Cant wait!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

We are Fraser, it's great to be able to fly fish year round... if you can call it fly fishing that is, it's it's own kinda method! The fish are great this year and running around the 3.5-5lb average with a few up to 6+ thrown in here and there. You'll have a ball, there is a LOT to do out of that we town, they just don't market it well! August will be good, but September - October better if you can manage it!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 am

Yea I know its not exactly the ideal time, but it fits in well in our schedule. Might help minimize the crowds as well? We are also going to head to Tauranga after new years for a few days. Hopefully see if a few kingfish are about on the flats hey?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:58 am

We didn’t find any real issue with crowds 2 weeks ago. Sure sometimes you rocked up to a run or pool to find "the spot" occupied, but 99% of anglers observed the etiquette of moving through, and also not jumping into your place if you were walking back to play a fish.

We even managed a morning of mixing down-streamers and nymphers in the same pool – you just observe etiquette. I have any amount of respect for the (typically) older Gents who are a little unsteady on their gammie knees/ hips. If they want to stay put to save endangering themselves - no stress. Move around behind and keep following the fish upstream through the pool :-)

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:20 am

I agree Andy, have not found it crowded either this year too much, but I like to walk to pools (30mins) where so many want to drive and fish in front of their cars, so avoid the popular ones.

I too let the old wetliners have their fill, they deserve respect for the reasons you state, I'll be one one day soon!, so I'm happy to work around them. I have seen a lot of guys just walking in this year in front of another anglers, and also anchoring in the one spot at the head for hours on end, it pisses me off, but I usually just let it slide and go somewhere else, can't be arsed with conflict, I'll just fire a line over the top of theirs and say a cherry... "sorry about that"!... then do it again until they move...

You should hit it right for the big browns Fraser.

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm

ANOTHER TRIUMPH FOR YOU ANDREW .SOME BEAUTIFUL FISH AND SOME NICE WEE BITS OF WATER . I'M GLAD YOU EDIT THESE VIDS - THAT LOSS OF A LOVELY TROUT AT 1:20 MUST HAVE CAUSED AN EXPLETIVE OR TWO . THE RAINBOW SHOTS ARE GREAT AND I LOVED THE SHOT OF THE SCHOOL OF TROUT - REALLY NICE .
THE WONDERFUL SHOT OF THE KERERU IS A CRACKER (although I think he may be one of Nick Smith's stooges - trying to prove our rivers are drinkable )

ALSO NICE TO READ THE ABOVE COMMENTS ON US OLD GEEZERS WITH RICKETY FRAMES . ITS NOT ONLY THE KNEES ! ANKLES - HIPS - WRISTS AND ALL CAUSE GRIEF . YOU'VE GOT NO IDEA HOW DAMAGED SHOULDERS SCREAM AT YOU WITH ANY THING BIGGER THAN A 3½lb FIGHTING TROUT !
HAVING SAID THAT - I HOPE YOU GET TO EXPERIENCE IT ONE DAY , 'CAUSE THAT MEANS YOUVE LIVED LONG ENOUGH :P
keepemcoming........ Al.

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Yes excellent Andrew - I do like your vids - capturing those little moments that we can all identify with!!

flyfish

Post by flyfish » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks Al and Steve. I was worried I would in fact not have enough footage for a clip, turns out I had over an hours worth of clip I had to cull back to under 9mins! Agree Steve, it's the little things that make it for me, namely the Wood Pigeon in this one. Andrew

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:41 pm

JUST AS AN ASIDE ANDREW - WITH ALL THAT FISH ACTIVITY I DONT SUPPOSE YOU TOOK NOTE OF THE WATER TEMP . OUR WATERS ARE ONLY AT 8º DOWN THIS WAY :!: