Fly fishing only waters and spin fishermen

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
SparseGreyHackle

Fly fishing only waters and spin fishermen

Post by SparseGreyHackle » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:23 am

I have been running into a number of people using spinning rods in fly fishing only waters. The most distressing were a couple of guys (with their families) from Scotland (based on their accents so I am not 100% sure) at some back country waters that I had spend hours hiking to, in the hopes of getting away from the bait and spin guys. They tried to tell me that it was too windy to use a fly rod. Ridiculous. Then they told me that they only cast bobbers with flies attached. Sure.

Andy W

Re: Fly fishing only waters and spin fishermen

Post by Andy W » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:27 pm

Did you report them to the F&G and provide details of any vehicles parked in the area? Let the honarary rangers preach compliance, if they are reported, otherwise ignorance is bliss.

SparseGreyHackle

Post by SparseGreyHackle » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:05 am

I did report them to F&G (and a local policewoman I met on the trail), but I did not get a license plate, alas. From now on I am taking photos of license plates in the cars in the lot of this and other places. F&G actually mentioned this report in their weekly mailing and told me that they will send some enforcement officers to the place I saw this.

I was really mad. I had traveled 10K miles to NZ, drove a long dirt road and hiked hours to get away from the Jabronies and enjoy some peaceful fly fishing, but these lazy bastards had decided to they could not be bothered to follow the rules. It was super aggravating because there almost all the waters on the SI are open to spin fishing and I was trying to find one of the rare fly-fishing only waters.

DOC/F&G is quietly opening more water to spin fishing; what the heck at they thinking? The fishing is bad enough on the SI, why make it worse.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:28 am

Notices don't mean diddy squat. Down here at Twizel on lakes well signposted "Fly fishing only" the low iq's just use spinning gear with bait from a camp chair. One lake where there is free camping is particularly bad for this and needs a good cleanup by F&G. Take their gear and kick them out. What other western country would allow this?

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:42 pm

SparseGreyHackle wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:05 am
I did report them to F&G (and a local policewoman I met on the trail), but I did not get a license plate, alas. From now on I am taking photos of license plates in the cars in the lot of this and other places. F&G actually mentioned this report in their weekly mailing and told me that they will send some enforcement officers to the place I saw this.

I was really mad. I had traveled 10K miles to NZ, drove a long dirt road and hiked hours to get away from the Jabronies and enjoy some peaceful fly fishing, but these lazy bastards had decided to they could not be bothered to follow the rules. It was super aggravating because there almost all the waters on the SI are open to spin fishing and I was trying to find one of the rare fly-fishing only waters.

DOC/F&G is quietly opening more water to spin fishing; what the heck at they thinking? The fishing is bad enough on the SI, why make it worse.
Nice work!