Tungsten vs. brass beads

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
fraser hocks

Re: Tungsten vs. brass beads

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Frank, I personally tend to worry less about the weight and more about the density. In other words, you can have a heavily weighted nymph with a lot of bulk that will sink slowly, and conversely something like a traditionally tied Sawyers PTN will sink quickly despite being relatively light. Then there are other factors, such as the tippet its tied to. Some tippet materials are quite dense and sink quickly, others not so, not to mention how think a tipet material your fishing and if its inadvertently been coated in floatant. In my opinion the only way to know is to tie your rig up and plop it in the water a rod length up from you and spot what depth it gets to by the time its at your feet. I pretty much do this every time I tie a nymph on.

The number of times iv fished with someone and they claim a fish isn't feeding after they have cast to it multiple times, then I get them to drop their rig in the water a rod length up and the nymph is only sinking 4" when the fish is lying at 2' :?

Also I'm not sure where your fishing, but other than the rare occasion and with dries have I yet to see a trout come up through a water column to eat a nymph. Trout pretty much exclusively feed left to right, and rarely up and down. IF you cant get it down to roughly the depth they aren't going to see it.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

mjl

Post by mjl » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:17 pm

To identify heavy flies in your box or fly patch, tie lead underbody versions using a different colour thread. Weighted flies end up with a different colour head or last few wraps behind the bead.

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Good points Fraser, and I agree you tend to see fish moving left to right, I assume at a convenient depth for where the nymphs drifting in the current, and you are correct about getting your nymphs to the right depth. However, when searching there is the good old Leisenring lift - I have to say I have had many takes at this point.
Although from Christchurch I am in living Victoria in Aust - most of my NZ fishing in recent years has been Western Southland and the West Coast. Looks to be zip in NZ this season :( -
Trust you guys are enjoying the serenity 8-)

Author: Transit of Fiordland