Looks like you guys finally got what a lot of you wanted

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
Sol

Looks like you guys finally got what a lot of you wanted

Post by Sol » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:34 pm

No overseas visitors this year (and possibly none for the whole season). Certainly no Americans.
Must hurt the licence coffer (not to mention the economy) and the guides must be hurt.
Not gloating - just pissed off that I can't even get to my own property from Oz.
Hope it all settles - stay safe!

marlsounds

Re: Looks like you guys finally got what a lot of you wanted

Post by marlsounds » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:07 pm

A big chunk of the F&G licence revenue was from overseas anglers but, aside from that, you're spot on about it being a kiwi anglers best dream (apart from Guides of course). With some southern rivers reporting up to 79% non-resident anglers in previous Backcountry Fishery data, 2020/21 will be a trout recovery season. Let's hope the spring weather doesn't create upheaval so our wild fish get a chance to grow even bigger for future years!

Sol

Post by Sol » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Unfortunately, Mike, dreams are not the reality.
The only way to control this backcountry nonsense is to completely stop heli-fishing.
I've said that last year but apparently there is a lot of objection from guides and various other bodies.
You want to get in there - walk!

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:42 pm

Sol - That would definitely help! The current Wilderness Areas (therefore helicopter free) have certainly helped to lift fish numbers in those zones.

The Roaring Lion R. is one such stream for instance, in a Wilderness Zone and is arguably in need of more fishing, given the high numbers of small to middle-sized fish present. But in the case of the previously spectacular Mokihinui R., as another Top of the South example, banning helicopters won't stop anglers from biking in, camping for extended periods in the same stretch/es, putting constant pressure on an already pressure-sensitive and damaged fishery.

The Goulter R. in Marlborough used to be exceptional but is now in dire straits, needing to be closed for a couple of seasons completely to start to recover. Sure, helicopters into the Goulter added to the pressure (they are now simply flying into the Branch and ruining that fishery), but it was already ruined by walk-in anglers. The U. Wairau R. is a shadow of its former self with road access and its past reputation leading to this demise.

So limiting helicopter access is definitely going to help, but wider controls and smart, modern, fishery management is needed.

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Sol, you won't want to read this, mate. But it does provide some clarity. Let's go for a fish when you *can* come back! https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/destinat ... until-2021

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:47 pm

It's a lovely idea, but you do realize that F&G aren't able to restrict air traffic?

Can't wait for the season ahead, what with the rivers a lot less pressure, and the people you do see having an idea on river etiquette.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Can't wait either, Fraser. Imagine fishing for a day on your favourite Southern backcountry stream and not bumping into anyone!

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Tell me about it. I might even fish the Mataura again? I usually only bother in the last few weeks of the season, as it just feels a little pressured.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Sol

Post by Sol » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Yeah, well, we got this in our news yesterday - sad really for me (and I do have a very good idea of river etiquette, Fraser):

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/trans-tasma ... rdern-says

And Mike, I would love to have a fish with you whenever. My place overlooks the Rangitata (which I never fish) but I'll happily travel North whenever.

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Sol wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 pm
And Mike, I would love to have a fish with you whenever.
Feel your pain, Sol. Let me know when you do manage to get back over and we'll tee up a secret spot to make the wait worthwhile. In the meantime, I'll do some spotting on your behalf!