First Post

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
YoungFella

First Post

Post by YoungFella » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:01 pm

Evening everybody, stumbled on this thread while doing a little research & thought I may aswell join up!

Now, I'm new here..
Living in Christchurch & would really love to get into Fly Fishing ( Looking for a new hobby to keep myself entertained during the weekends, as homebrewing doesn't take up enough time! :lol: )

So really just the basic questions here, would it be worth buying a cheap rod/reel/gear to start off with?
Or would it be wiser to pay that little bit extra and purchase some gear that would last longer?

Also I know there are a lot of small rivers & lakes around town, could I start off in these places? Or once again, go straight for the larger body's of water?

I'm not looking to score the trophy catch just yet, purely some recreational fishing.

Cheers.

stickle7

Re: First Post

Post by stickle7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 am

Welcome, I suggest you join a fly fishing club, go to the meeting and ask for the infomation you require, rather than buy a set up that is not to your requirments. Canterbury has a fly fishing club which is quite active, check it out on the web, best of luck. K

YoungFella

Post by YoungFella » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Okay, I will look into the Christchurch club and see if I can get some more information there.
Cheers

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Best thing you can do is communicate with our host Steve. Contact details for him and the Flyshop are:

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/CTUS.html

The Flyshop has everything you’d need to get yourself set up without breaking the bank....

For example....

https://www.flyshop.co.nz/category/flyrod_packages.html

YoungFella

Post by YoungFella » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:09 pm

I have had a look at the entry level combos here, very cheap I think I'd be silly not too!

Might have to place an order and have a talk too, really looking forward to getting this ball rolling.

Thanks for your help Johnno

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 pm

Talk before you buy and Steve will make sure you’ve got exactly what you require....