2018 resident fishing licence change

Post your general fly fishing messages here, ask questions, talk fly fishing
fraser hocks

Re: 2018 resident fishing licence change

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:17 pm

And here in lies the issue. The term Resident is so erroneous that anyone can argue that they are resident from any point of view, and therefore its nigh on impossible for F&G to prosecute. Oh trust me a few emails have been sent to people known to be doing the dodgy!

You may have spoken to F&G and Immigration in regards to this, but trust me it depends on who you get and on which day the definition is so grey.

My question is Jim, why you dont apply for citizenship? Best thing I ever did. I love NZ, its my home so I made it official. You could say "I put a ring on it" :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Trout United

Post by Trout United » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 pm

fraser hocks wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:17 pm
My question is Jim, why you dont apply for citizenship? Best thing I ever did. I love NZ, its my home so I made it official. You could say "I put a ring on it"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't found the right woman, unlike you though ;)

canuck

Post by canuck » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

I thought that the 2017 version was very clear; citizen or permanent resident as defined by the immigration act. Which meant you where either a citizen by birth, passport etc, not just because you life here. Or you were the holder of a permanent resident visa. So not a work visa, not a student visa, not a Australian that was living here permanently, not a residents visa...

If you have permanent residency(or citizenship) you will know about it. For permanent residency you will have filled in a bunch of paper, had a medical, and spent some money so it didn't just happen because you spent some time in NZ; and it is easy to prove as you will have and endorsement in your passport.

The one omission from that old regulation would probably be the Australian who has lived in NZ for numerous years, that probably would be an easy fix.

The new reg seems to be pretty loose and it will be difficult to prove, I can tell Fraser that I ordinarily reside in Omarama and he can't easily verify that. Well okay he could by just going down to the local diary and asking, LOL.

Canuck

canuck

Post by canuck » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:45 am

I did find a definition of " ordinarily resides" it is fairly robust, it is under the ACC act so I am not sure if it applies. I have posted the link. The person that I emailed in F and G didn't seem to be aware of this; that would be a good starting point.

The long of the short of it is that you need to be a citizen or permanent resident visa holder but living in NZ, it seems pretty close to reasonable.

It would then seem to me that the Australian living here wouldn't comply nor would a student visa, working visa etc.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/publ ... 00661.html

Canuck

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 am

At the end of the day the shop doesn’t care. Neither does the licence purchasing portal on the F and G website.
You can say or write whatever you like, and get what ever licence you like. No one is going to really question it, except maybe the ranger who checks your licence....and riverside it’s going to be hard to prove address and residency claims aren’t genuine.... and they who assert must prove which means if someone thinks you are lying or being dishonest they gotta prove it.. not always that easy.... the average volunteer ranger will just be happy the person has a licence..

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am

Nail on the head again Johnno!!

canuck

Post by canuck » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:44 am

Fair Comment Johnno,

So Fraser I ordinarily reside in Omarama: just don't check in at the diary or coffee shop as to my actual whereabouts, LOL.

Have a great day,

Canuck

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Don't worry Canuck, I only check for a licence when your on a river with a rod in your hand, so as long as you don't do either of those it will be all OK :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Just a quick update. Seems the classification has become a bit of a sticking point for many.

Fish and Game are about to release a flow chart that can be used to identify if you classify for a resident or non-resident licence under the latest regulations. This is going to be handed out to all rangers. Here it is, so you can make your own determination as to who classifies for a resident and non-resident licence.

canuck

Post by canuck » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm

That makes it pretty straight forward.

Canuck