Wairau Salmon

All Salmon Fishing stuff
piwakawaka

Wairau Salmon

Post by piwakawaka » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:51 pm

hi...

I was reading the local paper a couple of nights ago and saw a nice salmon that had been caught upriver in the Wairau. I started to ponder just how the salmon were making their way upriver in the current low flows and thought they must be going through my favourite trout pool. I had seen a couple of salmon caught at the Diversion during Kahawai missions so decided to go and have a bo-peep.
I had just begun walking down my favourite stretch of river when below me I saw a big salmon heading upstream. I followed him up through the pool and watched him make easy work of the shallow rapids at the head.
Well...they are certainly here I thought so off to the tail of the run I headed.....soft bait rod in hand. After I couple of casts I heard a splashing noise and looked at the shallow rapids downstream of me....holy s... all I could see was bow waves and tails. I hooked one as they went past but was taken a bit by surprise at how soft the take was and he came unstuck after a few seconds.
Not to worry as a few minutes later a second run went past and the hook up was solid. Where will I be in the morning......standing on the bank of the Wairau with expectations high.

Ross

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Wairau Salmon

Post by Steve » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Nice one Ross - that's dinner sorted!

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 am

Hi...

This mornings salmon is a bit smaller.....they didn't seem to be running early as there was no activity at the rapids. I found them about mid pool in a deeper section of holding water. Only fished for one fish and they were happy again to take soft baits.....headed for home to fire up the smoker for yesterdays salmon which is still in the brine. She's a great old river the Wairau......wish the freckin grapists would leave it alone!

Ross

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:52 am

Nice job - but don't be thinking it's always going to be that easy :-).

I have spent possibly thousands of river hours trying to catch salmon in my lifetime, to the point that I don't even bother at all now unless I can actually see the target. Seeing a trout and catching it is much easier...

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:34 pm

hi Andy....

I might have to start getting a bit serious regarding the salmon.....of course, all us northland boys love a bit of smoke....

and it surely tastes as good as it looks....

but I'm just as keen on the kingies and have been having plenty of luck with the jigs....so that will about do it on the salmon for me......but jeeez I love that smoke!

Ross

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:59 am

Bloody nice work Ross! Might have to head up your way with the spey rod one day? I'd love to get a salmon on the spey rod.

I bumped into a guy from Chrischurch the other day that fishes for salmon on the spey rod exclusively. I'm keeping in contact with him to hopefully get the opportunity one day.

Is that a multi piece spin rod capable of handling a salmon you have there Ross? Iv been searching for such a beast for some time if so any details about the rod would be great.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

piwakawaka

Post by piwakawaka » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:01 am

hi...

Well through no fault on the salmons part I returned home empty handed this morning. I had three good hook-ups and dropped them all. One particularly was a very good fish. I had him on for some time until he dropped the hook and headed away down pool in a series of jumps....easily the best salmon to date.
Made the mistake of not setting the hook hard enough.....the feel as they take the soft bait is just a slow heavy pull...nothing hard or violent just a slow weight comes on. Worst of all, wouldn't you know it...work intrudes for the next two days, I'm buggered if I know how I'm going to last until Friday morning.
Fraser the rod I'm using is called a Shimano Trastick. It is available on Ebay through a couple of different sellers. The version I have is the light weight rod with a casting weight of 4-21 grams. It is multi piece and converts from 7'10" to 8'10" depending on the bottom rod section you use. It has Fuji Alconite "K" guides and it an awesome rod. I also have a "Team Dragon" 8' two piece spin rod that cost me plenty.....the Shimano is better in my opinion. Its a great salmon rod(when they stay hooked) and casts beautifully.....really nice on the big kahawai because it has a lovely soft tip section but plenty of power in the butt.
Whats more its a bargain.....landed in NZ for around $230 kiwi....I'm actually going to buy another one, that's how much I like it.

Ross

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for that Ross! Going to organize one of those then shortly. The S810M model looks just perfect for what im looking for.

I met a guy in Aitutaki that had a very similar rod that was sold as a UK version. I looked into getting one of those but thye had been discontinued. Suprising that rods like this arent more common in NZ. Multi piece trout rods are common,but multi piece salmon rods are like rocking horse poo poo.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:29 am

Hey guys... Funny it's brown and rainbows that seem to get most of the publicity as NZ's primary fishery, is there a big salmon run and is it limited to a smaller number of rivers?

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 am

Fish and Game can quote numbers – in the Waimakariri its something like 5000 fish with traditionally a 60% harvest. The numbers in each river vary dramatically depending on the numbers released 3 years prior.

The runs are mostly limited to the larger of the East Coast Rivers in Canterbury in the South Island and a few rivers on the West Coast. As always there are exceptions (Wairau sounds like its firing now) with some fish being caught in the lower North Island Rivers and there have been attempts to keep a small run in Southland Rivers. The run in the Wairau might be supplemented by losses from the commercial farm at Kaituna perhaps?

In North Canterbury alone we grow something like 300K smolt annually to release size which includes releases into the High Country lakes for land locked stock, as well as the low country lakes for Kids Fishing programs.