Salmon on fly

All Salmon Fishing stuff
Hebes

Salmon on fly

Post by Hebes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 am

I'm in the south island with my teenage son in December and have some trout fishing lined up but would also like to introduce him to salmon fishing.
Can anyone give me some advice as to where we could find the best water suitable for fly fishing. We'll spin if we have to but I'd rather use fly if possible
Thanks

fraser hocks

Re: Salmon on fly

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 am

Unfortunately the salmon fishery here is very much on deaths door Hebes. I only know of a handful of guys that even try for salmon on fly, as your likely to spend most of a season trying to possibly catch one fish. The Clutha river and its tributaries used to be good many years ago. Fish and Game run a survey to find out about the number of salmon caught on the Clutha. So far there hasn't been a single fish recorded caught for the 2017-2018 season. :cry:

Maybe someone In Canterbury might be able to point you to somewhere, but to be honest mate, it would be a waste of a trip to spend any time focusing on salmon in NZ these days. Stick to trout, of which we have plenty.

I am pushing to try and get the salmon back, by means of installing fish access over some of the dams here, but id say your son will be a grown man with a family of his own before we see decent stocks returning, and that's only if we can get those fish accesses in.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

PierDun

Re: Salmon on fly

Post by PierDun » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:38 am

nice