Southshore

easy-peasy olive caddis nymph

Post by Southshore » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Hook: 10 12 14 caddis
Bead: black tungsten 3-4mm
Thread: black (for dubbing)
Body: gold silk under, olive nymph skin over
Hackle: 2 turns black rabbit

Method: Fit the bead, wind gold silk back to around the bend and tie in a 4mm strip of olive nymph skin (not the adhesive kind). Build up an even body, wind the skin forward, overlapping to form segments and tie off. Tie on the black thread and dub on a couple of turns of black rabbit. That's it.

Notes: There are plenty of latex-type caddis patterns around, this is my simple one because it works. The gold silk underbody gives it that added glow. There is no rib, the overlapped skin does that and the sparse hackle gives the nymph a little life. Caddis are quite chunky little critters and I try to make the artificials look a bit that way. Latex is a good body material and I get different colours from sources like balloons. Because of the light at the time, the olive body in the photo appears lighter than it actually is. Tight lines

Johnno

Re: easy-peasy olive caddis nymph

Post by Johnno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am

Nice. Another good product for the body is condom latex. It’s fairly thin and the underbody really glows through particularly if using a fluoro green or orange thread..

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Johnno, absolutely, haven't used condom latex but did get some surgical gloves from the local pharmacy which are fine if you like all-white and 100 of them . Balloons are good and I cut them into strips across the neck. Latex tends to deteriorate after a while so just tie a few up at a time. Always on the lookout for body wraps, and I can be found most days hanging around Spotlight !. Attached is a better photo of the olive caddis with a coat of clear fingernail varnish. Currently looking at a liquid latex caddis body as the Halloween maggots they make from this stuff are amazingly realistic.
cheers

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:03 pm

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:54 am

I tried every which way with liquid latex to form a buggy caddis body but none of them worked. Winding a tube onto a hook seemed to hold ok for a while but any application of colour or glue just ate it. Suppose you could make a detached body like a peeping caddis but that's not what I had in mind. Commercial latex strips or catgut seem a better choice.

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am

Hi mate,

Another fantastic material to use is the rigging floss we use on the big game boats for sewing up baits.

I have found the thinner of the 2 versions better, but at a stretch you can separate the 70lb into thinner strips and use this.
The waxed thread really sticks and it has the same effect of the segmented body when tied up just overlapping.
Tough as all hell and never breaks down.

I have found a base of super glue along the thread before winding the floss makes all the difference - and it doesn't eat it!
It really is super realistic too and I have caught plenty of fish on this pattern.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Sounds good Jaapie, always interested in trying different body materials. Can this floss be bought online?
cheers

Jaapie

Post by Jaapie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 am

I'm pretty sure mate.
They say rigging floss, but it's nothing like floss........more like thick waxed dental thread.

https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_produ ... 1417-.aspx

You get it usually in tackle shops/stores where the guys do big game fishing.
We use it a lot over here to stitch swim baits and rig skipping baits on the reef.

Send me a PM with an address and I'll send you some. A whole roll with last you 9 lifetimes if you're just using it for fly tying.
I'm over in a couple of weeks time up in Auckland and then heading down to Wellington for a fish, so not sure where you are, but sure we can get it to you no sweat.

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:53 pm

That's a coincidence. I'm currently in Queensland Oz about 40 mins drive from Wellsys Tackle shop in Birtinya. I think I know the place. Will give them a ring tomorrow and will be up that way again next week. I was in Metier Linkway last Wednesday - good work!
cheers

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Jaapie, Wellsys are sending me down a roll of the rigging floss. I'll tie up a white caddis and post a photo.
Seeing the floss is a bit waxy, I'll try lightly dubbing on some hare's fur before winding it on, it should look very realistic like the Shark caddis. Being a big roll won't matter as I can use it also for stringing passionfruit vines etc.
Also, I found out our local vet is a flyfisherman and he is looking into getting some plain catgut from his suppliers. The reason they stopped using it was the mad cow disease scare. In the meantime he gave me a small length of the original stuff he had out the back which I'll use on some smaller hook. We'll see how it goes. Totsiens