Hollow midge Tubing...

A "brag" section to show off your lastest creations;
Wilki

Hollow midge Tubing...

Post by Wilki » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:47 pm

Not a new product and something I have had lying around for a while but I got motivated to try a couple of patterns for the lake the other day...

Bloodworm...

Top view...

I have pulled a fine black wire loop through the tubing and pulled some white antron (with a spot of glue),
used a touch of Loon UV thin to coat the head etc... this is on a TMC2457 #18 hook.

Rabbit Damesl...

Same principal on the extended body except it's just a CDC feather with the base of the stem stripped,
I tied the stem to the shank before catching the tubing to bind down...
the head is rabbit in a dubbing loop... this is on a TMC2457 #14 hook.

Wolfman

Re: Hollow midge Tubing...

Post by Wolfman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Great to see some experimentation out there. Looking good Mike !!

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:41 am

So hit the lake for some product testing last weekend, got another Winston so had to have a flick... it's an IM6 7'2" 5 weight not common from what I understand but thought it sounded great for some wee stream work. Face it I'm a gear junky really :D
I had also rigged my new line one of the Airflo Super Dri series... the Elite, the rod was great and the line was too.
So with a get up close and personal setup it made it tough stalking fish in the shallows with the winter sun angle, spooked plenty :lol:

Not all of them though! I fished an old classic, black & peacock wet and my new midge bloodworm from top of this page...
I have tweaked it a little form that picture by switching out the antron breathers to white CDC. For the tail, I strip a CDC feather leaving a few barbs at the tip then thread the stem through the red tube, I tie the stem to the hook shank just in front of the catch in point of the tubing.
The first version I used black wire loop through the tube to catch the antron, the advantage this has is you can bend the tubing to any shape as you fish it which can add a little extra movement in the water.
I will carry both in the fly box for a while until I tie something else that catches my attention :lol:

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:51 am

So just found this link to a dry midge version extended body... a bit more work crimping the tubing but worth a try for the next one maybe :)

http://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-vide ... ult-midge/

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 am

Nice work Mike! defiantly the go to fly for the silt flats at this time of year. Wouldn’t mind popping up and having a fish with you? See if I can’t squeeze one in? It’s tough at this time of year, so much to do. Skiing, spey fishing, and lakes!! I think I say it every week, but we live in paradise!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 pm

So had a play with crimping the body tube with heated pliers... totally not needed to fish the fly but a cool effect all the same :)

J D

Post by J D » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Those are sweet!!

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"