Damselfly adults

A "brag" section to show off your lastest creations;
Maniototoflyfisher

Damselfly adults

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

December and January had lots of trout jumping out at damselfly adults. Tied up a imitation - taken often enough but hook up poor!

Dave

Re: Damselfly adults

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi David
The Southland Fly Fishing Club included a damsel in its fly tying competition in 2015. The instructions are contained in the August 2015 Ripples newsletter
http://southlandflyfishingclub.org.nz/i ... 015-08.pdf
I have not used it but at least one member has had success in Lake Dunstan.
I have a supply of the string used for the abdomen that I imported to supply to members for the competition if you want to try some.
Dave

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:33 pm

Finally got back to damselfly dry season ( December and January in Central Otago). "Dave" sent me some metallic string to tie up some flies - and sent me some flies tied to the pattern in the above link. Today I had the first chance to try them on "jumping" trout. Only had an hour to fish and the easterly wind came up soon after I arrived which stopped most jumpers (or made it hard to see them) - had 2 takes and both held -much better hookup than my original tie. Thanks Dave and the Southland Fly Fishing Club

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:43 am

Great work. Yea they were feeding hard out on damsel nymphs on Dunstan on the weekend. Only a few damsels on the wing, but I bet by this weekend they will be in full flight and the trout leaping for them. Always a fun Spectacle, although not always great catching.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Dave wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 pm
Hi David
The Southland Fly Fishing Club included a damsel in its fly tying competition in 2015. The instructions are contained in the August 2015 Ripples newsletter
http://southlandflyfishingclub.org.nz/i ... 015-08.pdf
I have not used it but at least one member has had success in Lake Dunstan.
I have a supply of the string used for the abdomen that I imported to supply to members for the competition if you want to try some.
Dave
Hi Dave, I checked out that damsel pattern and it's a good one, far better than the ones I tied for Lake Lyndon in Porters Pass Canterbury, and a lot of thought has gone into it. I never had much success with my damsel and found that the little rainbows preferred a yellow body humpy !. Also had a look at their club web site and that was worth saving to bookmarks. Cheers

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:28 pm

Best damsel adult pattern I know it’s a size 8 Coch Y Bonddu.

A trick I was taught on the Big O way back in the 1990s or maybe earlier, can’t quite remember now..

Anyways. Cast it out there and wait. The damsels will land on it and a trout will engulf the lot...

First time I saw it I laughed, the second time too.

After the third time I bummed a #8 CYB off the old fella and started to do it too.....

Maniototoflyfisher

Post by Maniototoflyfisher » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks Johnno - will try the CYB - might even do a trial - put a CYB and a Daves damsel side by side!!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 am

Tonga.

It’s actually a Taupo pattern, but found a home in Canterbury. A pretty bloody good and successful attempt at a damsel adult. 1960’s. Dusty roads, cane rods, the 10.30am Nor’wester kick in.. the Tonga is as Canty high country as they come

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:48 am

Johnno wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 am
Tonga.

It’s actually a Taupo pattern, but found a home in Canterbury. A pretty bloody good and successful attempt at a damsel adult. 1960’s. Dusty roads, cane rods, the 10.30am Nor’wester kick in.. the Tonga is as Canty high country as they come

Thats pretty cool Johnno.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Yea beautiful tie there Johnno. Will defiantly have to have a go at that one!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!