Anyone got a supply of Moth Balls?

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Andy W

Anyone got a supply of Moth Balls?

Post by Andy W » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:59 pm

Hi,

Went to the chemist to buy some Moth Balls (or Naphthalene to give it, it's proper name) and they no longer sell it, as it is classed as a poison. Funny that... And no - they don't know of a replacement.

Meanwhile the bugs are eating some of my feathers stored in the ceiling of the garage...

Anyone know where I can buy it?

Regards,

Andrew W

Taieri George

Re: Anyone got a supply of Moth Balls?

Post by Taieri George » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Based a very quick scan of the internet, her is a suggestion from a bulletin board not connected with fly tying.

(copied verbatim)

When most of our belongings went into storage for 12 months, I used peppercorns and cloves (wrapped together in muslin) in all clothing containers, and bay leaves in all my book boxes. Never had a problem and everything smelt nice when I unpacked. A few bay leaves in the back of each shelf in the book cases keeps any pest away.

George

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:54 pm

Get some flea collars and cut them into little sections and use them. Mothballs are ( were) a repellant but flea collars will kill the little critters.

Prevention is the name of the game. Store feathers and furs in seperate plastic ziplock bags and store them in plastic bins with clip type lids. Anything that's being eaten, just get rid of it. Not worth the risk of infecting other stuff by trying to clean and resurrect.

Microwaves and freezers have their uses but microwaves will fry shit if you not careful and we all know what the missus will say and do if she discovers s bit of road kill fur or feather in the freezer....

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 am

Cheers for replies. Will get a flea collar with the groceries on Friday, although the peppercorns and cloves sounds like a nice smelly solution.

It's me stash of peacock swords so I can afford to let a few go - but want to get rid of the critters chewing them up as they leave a mess in the ceiling of the garage too...

Blackhackle

Post by Blackhackle » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I bought some at Bunnings a few years ago, don't know if they still carry them.

SteveO

Post by SteveO » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:14 am

Good Morning

I have heard that cedar balls are a good replacement.

However I think the flea collar idea is the one, being a killer as opposed to a repellent.

Cheers Steve

ErikaDeanda

Post by ErikaDeanda » Fri May 31, 2019 9:17 pm

You can try to buy mothballs on Amazon or ebay. They are cheap, all you have to do is spread them around the infected area. If you really can't get a mothball, you can use a cedar chip as a substitute. I also help you get this article to help you get rid of moths, you can learn a lot of different methods.