Some early Tongariro Lures (Streamers)

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Johnno

Some early Tongariro Lures (Streamers)

Post by Johnno » Sun May 22, 2016 10:53 am

The old bloke who gave these to me tied and used them in the Tongariro in the 1940s and 50's. He said that his father tied and used a few of them before that as well. An old school Tongariro streamer fisherman using rubber chest waders, cane rods and sinking line he said; "these lures are commonly what we used before those bloody nymphers came along and ruined the river"

There are Turkey winged flies, an early example of a Ewe Wasp, a couple of early flat winged style flies, a very early Matuku styled fly.. The earliest of the flies show an obvious connection to the earlier Salmon flies commonly used on the river before local patterns morphed out of them. They are not expertly tied, but are I think, precious examples of commonly tied and used flies from a bygone era.

The Fuzzy Wuzzy at the end was apparently tied by his father possibly in the mid - later 1940's and thus could possibly be one of the earlier existing examples of the Fuzzy Wuzzy in it's 'modern' tying style (the original was arguably tied almost like a Woolly Bugger) I kinda like it as its slightly bent out possibly indicating that at some point, many decades ago, a big fit angry Tongariro Rainbow probably had this in it's mouth....

Last edited by Johnno on Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnno

Re: Some early Tongariro Lures (Streamers)

Post by Johnno » Sun May 22, 2016 10:56 am

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sat May 28, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for posting Johnno, great to see these old NZ patterns, pretty unique now, little treasures

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat May 28, 2016 1:24 pm

...... he said; "these lures are commonly what we used before those bloody nymphers came along and ruined the river"
JOHNNO - IF YOU KNOW CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE OLD CHAP MEANT . THANKS

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat May 28, 2016 4:19 pm

The river (and others in Taupo) was once the domain of traditional down stream fishermen. Then nymph fishing took off and that upset a few of the diehards who saw the nymphing revolution as something akin to blathsphemy... I guess he was one of those!

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 pm

THANKS JOHNNO - INTERESTING - AS BOTH DISCIPLINES ARE SUB SURFACE ITS ODD THAT SUCH A STANCE WAS TAKEN BUT ITS ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT YOU HAD TO BE A PART OF IT TO UNDERSTAND . THANKS AGAIN

Boisker

Post by Boisker » Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 pm

A modern day Halford and Skues :D

TIDDLER

Post by TIDDLER » Sat May 28, 2016 10:01 pm

THIS IS WHEN THIS FORUM IS AT ITS BEST. I HAD NEVER HEARD OF H & S - NOW THANKS TO WIKIPEDIA - I AM SOMEWHAT ENLIGHTENED . THANKS BOISKER

Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve » Sun May 29, 2016 9:13 am

TIDDLER wrote:...... he said; "these lures are commonly what we used before those bloody nymphers came along and ruined the river"
JOHNNO - IF YOU KNOW CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE OLD CHAP MEANT . THANKS
It was also the problem of one lot working down stream and the other working upstream, probably what caused the most friction

Isaak M

Post by Isaak M » Tue May 31, 2016 7:39 pm

That's a seriously good looking set of flies you have there. Those colour schemes are very nice, something akin to the 'modern' concept of hot spots.