Bringing fly tying materials to NZ?

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
ForgottenRiver

Bringing fly tying materials to NZ?

Post by ForgottenRiver » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:58 am

Hi all, I'm returning permanently to NZ (somewhere south) shortly and have accumulated a fair amount of natural fly tying materials during my time in the UK. I am wondering if I'm going to encounter any problems bringing this with me? I will likely ship most of it with all my other worldly goods in the container. Has any one out there had experience of this or can offer some advice? Cheers, Tony.

Johnno

Re: Bringing fly tying materials to NZ?

Post by Johnno » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:49 am

I'd suggest you'd want to declare the stuff and have it properly dealt with ( fumigated) cause if you don't and it's found you'll lose it and it'll be destroyed. You could of course sneak it in, but who'd know what would be hitch hiking on your gear. .....

Taieri George

Post by Taieri George » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:36 pm

Declare it and there shouldn't be a problem. Purchased fly tying materials will not be a problem from my experience. Road kill, wild kill or other untreated fur, feather, hide, hair, dubbing and the like must be declared and will attract attention and possible fumigation or will be destroyed. Made up flies that have been used and are not properly dried may also arouse inspection.

Knowledge gained from OS trips bringing fly tying gear back, but always declared it. I have been allowed to retain it everytime, sometimes after inspection.

George

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Yea just declare it and should all be ok.

I did that when moving from Australia. Wasn't an issue, they just waned to see what I had and make sure it was all properly cared for. As soon as I showed them that it was properly treated fly tying materials and wasn't been stored somewhere where it could pick up nasties etc..., it wasn't an issue and was sent on through.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

ForgottenRiver

Post by ForgottenRiver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Will certainly declare all inc other outdoor equipment… lots of rationalising and cleaning to do! Looking forward to contributing to this community once I get back… been watching the fly swaps with interest and hope to join in when I get the time. Cheers, Tony.