Pheasant's! What to do with them.

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
monkeeman2

Pheasant's! What to do with them.

Post by monkeeman2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:37 am

So unfortunately, for the male pheasant that is, I had one fly into the front left of my car yesterday - not run over so in good condition. Suffering so had to deal to him. He is now hanging in my pantry. Obviously I don't want any part of such a beautiful bird to go to waste. I am quite smart on the food front so I can deal with all aspects of the carcass after hanging for a few days. I do some fly fishing but not tying just yet, although that has some appeal, what do I do to preserve the feathers and which ones are of use? I have walked my way around the different feathers present - I can see those that would fit a Mrs Simpson but still a big range in pattern type and colouration. Tail feathers are an obvious use so have plucked them but do need to know what to do to preserve them - if anything? Any help or opinions would be great. ;)

Andy W

Re: Pheasant's! What to do with them.

Post by Andy W » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:49 am

Easiest way to handle the tail feathers (next time) is to remove them all in one piece leaving them on a small patch of skin, and then stick the patch in a bag of salt to dry the skin. Works perfectly and means they are easier to handle.

If you can manage to get the rest of the skin off with the feathers in one piece, then the same method can be used to cure the skin too. Others may have a quicker way of achieving this.

When I used to tie winged dry's, any duck wings donated by shooting friends got cured by putting them in the oven on a very low heat, for as long as I could get the oven. Small risk of stinking out the kitchen mind you...