Dubbing Twisters...

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Wilki

Dubbing Twisters...

Post by Wilki » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:24 pm

I just broke my dubbing twister tonight... It was one of the Stonfo Roto ones Steve has in the shop. I have had it for ages and given it plenty of use so not crying about its quality or anything :D Just wonder how many people use them for dubbing loops or other types of twisters??? And why you use or like them??

Johnno

Re: Dubbing Twisters...

Post by Johnno » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey Mike..
I just use my fingers now, gone away from a tool. That stuff I sent you, " the finger method" is all I use :D

I want to get around to making a dubbing block to make wire dubbing brushes for bigger flies... 8-)

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:48 pm

It was that stuff you sent me I was using when I broke it :lol:
I got given one from Matt Pate so all good.
I made a stand for making wire dubbing brushes not sure where I put it last shift :D

Kym

Post by Kym » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi Johnno
here's a couple of pics of a dubbing block that a non fly fishing/tying mate made for me. The hinged piece of wood in the middle supports the dubbing tray and folds down so the tray can drop when you're ready to start twisting.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:23 pm

Kym
Looks interesting. How do you attach the thread to the left end and what is the little bit at the knob end on the side of the block.
Dave

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:22 am

Kym, that looks good, mine was more basic than that but might send the pic to my brother inlaw as he's excellent at the stuff... Way more patience than me :lol:
Dave you use wire for this one to make dubbing brushes that you then tie into the fly later... You run a length of wire up and down around the hooks then sit the dubbing in between the wire using the trap to support it. Then take the tension drop the trap then wind with the knob to twist up like a long bottle brush if that makes sense ;)

Kym

Post by Kym » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:53 am

Dave, what Wilki said. You use wire not thread. Gold Beading wire from a craft or fabric type shop shop is fine. You just wedge one end of the wire under the L shaped wedge-o-matic (patent pending) on the left (it's a random bit scavengened from an old typewriter) and then along the board and around the hook on the winder on the right then double back and secure under the wedge-o-matic (patent pending) again.
Lay your dubbing material between the two pieces of wire, secure with a couple of twists, then drop the board and start twisting/winding.
Some twisters have a sprung wedge-o-matic-deluxe, but simple is just as effective. :D
kym

matuka

Post by matuka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:25 pm

When I first read this thread I did a bit of research on the Stonfo Roto dubbing twister. Looked very impressive so I ordered one from Steve. After tying a few dozen nymphs with it in the last few days I am an avid fan. I've used a few different twisters over the years but this one is the best by far.

Secondly, in regard to the discussion on dubbing brushes it is possible to use thread instead of wire. See:
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... 010&page=2

Scroll down page 2 of the thread to the post from Silver Creek to see how to use thread.

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am

matuka wrote: Secondly, in regard to the discussion on dubbing brushes it is possible to use thread instead of wire. See:
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... 010&page=2

Scroll down page 2 of the thread to the post from Silver Creek to see how to use thread.
Depends on how durable you want it to be. Thread is OK but get a few nasty trout teeth on them and they come apart, so you may as well use wire instead. Wire is good for adding weight and sparkle as well - I don't go past the deep red colour sires for mine - especially Tongariro bombs.

The other problem with thread is that you have to keep them on a card, whereas with wire they can sit anywhere until needed.