Mounting Display Flies...

Anything to do with flies and fly tying
Johnno

Mounting Display Flies...

Post by Johnno » Sun May 31, 2015 11:36 am

Going to have a crack at mounting display flies in shadow boarded picture frames. Trying to work out the best way to hang the flies. Not going to glue flies directly into the mount, thinking of some sort of small anchor a few mm out from the mount to both preserve the flies better and get a more 3D effect. If you get my drift.

Anyone done this.... :?:
Ideas anyone?? :idea:

Jaapie

Re: Mounting Display Flies...

Post by Jaapie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:29 am

Mate, the best way to mount and show the flies off is to have them attached via mono loops or thin wire from behind.
It is inconspicuous enough to not detract from the flies.

It's the same way as many guys photograph their flies for magazines against a background.

There is quite a bit on the internet about mounting flies and display panels.

Put it up once you're done for us to see - good luck.

ElkHairEmerger

Re: Mounting Display Flies...

Post by ElkHairEmerger » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Johnno,
I have used the shadow boxes for displaying flies a few times. I had them made by a framer rather than purchasing commercially made ones. Originally, I was going to place text on the glass: "In case of emergency, break glass", but did not need to.
Anyway, I ensured that the visible backing in the back of the frame was the foam sheet with a pressed paper surface. I simply positioned the flies where I needed to and pushed the point of each hook into the surface. I did not have any problems with movement and it did not detract from the presentation.
Good luck with your solution.
ElK Hair Emerger