Nessie Flymph

Step by Step and Pattern recipes etc Share them here
Johnno

Nessie Flymph

Post by Johnno » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Hook is a 12 upeyed, a thread of olive silk, tail of natural mottled grey Coq de Leon hen saddle, hackle of mottled grey CdL hen and body of touch dubbed grey rabbit and mohair. Unweighted fished up to bulging fish, should sit just under the surface film..

Kiwioz

Re: Nessie Flymph

Post by Kiwioz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Johnno,
Can see that working well in meadow streams I frequent. However, what are your thoughts on the upturned eye? For reasons purely aesthetic I completely avoid them.
Cheers,
Kiwioz

Author: Transit of Fiordland

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm

This hook is part of some leftovers from a recent order, but I’ve never had a problem with ue hooks. They look just fine to my eye and I’ve certainly never had issues with their hooking abilities. They are a perfect hook for Turle knots which I use a lot in the dusk ( hell of a lot easier to tie with my slowly failing eyesight....) Catskills style dry flies were traditionally tied on ue hooks ( many still are) and the head was often tied a little shorter to better accomodate the Turle tied on catgut, but with today’s fine monos that’s not really necessary.. Flymphs are also traditionally largely tied on ue hooks as they allow the fly to ride better ..

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 pm

Reminds me of the Hares Ear Spider (Capt Hamilton). Fished just under the surface in the evening I landed 6 fine brown trout from one lie in a North Canterbury river with the spider. The long hackle is the key ingredient.
Short and slim hares ear body ribbed with yellow silk or gold wire, long partridge hackle and that's it. Long live these types of flies.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:32 pm

Given the continued success of small soft hackled wet flies, I’m surprised they are not well used. They should be.....

Kiwioz

Post by Kiwioz » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:32 am

Good comment Johnno, I tend to tie on a 'spider' style fly when the usual suspects aren't delivering. Not sure why I don't start off that way...
Cheers,
Kiwioz

Author: Transit of Fiordland