Humpy

Step by Step and Pattern recipes etc Share them here
Johnno

Humpy

Post by Johnno » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 am

Despite what a lot think, they are not a hard fly to tie. Still one of the best patterns out there as a general dry right down to 16 or even 18. Red, green and yellow bodies. A lot tie with foam backs which are fine, but I kinda like the original and how the back splays out after a fish's teeth have gnawed it. They still work just fine.....

fraser hocks

Re: Humpy

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 am

Must say, I find them one of the hardest to tie? I might have to get some tips of you?

I just cant get the proportions right. Im not a great tier, but im not that terabble either. In fact my wife has promised to learn to tie a good one, so I can have a break from trying.....and failing. :oops:

Definitely agree though, there a must have for any fly box!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

upstream

Post by upstream » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Now here is a fly that I don't like. I suck at tying them and they don't work for me. In fact I don't think I've ever caught a thing on a humpy.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Oh Upstream, middle of summer down this way on a back country river, I reckon I could take merely a box of nothing but blue blowfly humpy's and cream it! The fish just love them. Unfortunately I buy all mine, as I just cant tie one that's half decent.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Haha. There you go Upstream... your Humpy is my Royal Wulff... 😁

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:24 am

Humpy's in High Country every time I want a searching fly - but I cheat and buy them. Some of the examples in my big dry box are looking very chewed up as they are coming up to 9 or 10 seasons old.

Damn you Johnno for posting about http://www.flyfishfood.com/. The packages arriving from The FLyshop have been steady prior to going to Turangi, and are not going to stop on my return by the looks of thing :-)

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:24 am

Humpy's in High Country every time I want a searching fly - but I cheat and buy them. Some of the examples in my big dry box are looking very chewed up as they are coming up to 9 or 10 seasons old.

Damn you Johnno for posting about http://www.flyfishfood.com/. The packages arriving from The Flyshop have been steady prior to going to Turangi, and are not going to stop on my return by the looks of thing :-)

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Yes... they've got some interesting patterns..

Southshore

Post by Southshore » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Rainbows love yellow body Humpys - very reliable fly to have.