Wilkis Bamboo Build (contd)...

Fly Rod building tips, comments etc
Wilki

Wilkis Bamboo Build (contd)...

Post by Wilki » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Well I finally got around to doing some more on the build... been pretty busy with the new business and a lot lazy in the evenings :D
I now have the bottom section finished and just first coated the wraps on one of the tip sections, I may have done a silly thing
I have only wrapped one tip section and guessing the spare may just sit there until a breakage requires it to be wrapped :lol:

I have also done a thin top coat by hand on the blank and wrote on it, a bit messy sorry Matt (the writing that is) but I'll make sure I tell everyone it was my work when i show it off :lol:
Another couple of days and I should have it ready to fish!

OneHairyArm

Re: Wilkis Bamboo Build (contd)...

Post by OneHairyArm » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Nice Mike, it's seems to be a yank thing to build a second tip, I guess if you have the rest of the culm you may as well use it. I never bother with mine own personal ones

I too have been building, this time one quickie for myself
I managed to pick up some orange silk from Carl, as well as the Stroft I was after, the snake guides I got off Steve and are very good value for money, extra fine wire, ground feet. Not as flash as Snakebrand guides but for the price I have no issues. I hope to get this one finished for the Tongas, the mid section is gluing, the tip will be done by end of the week. Orange wraps with black tipping.

FFS I can't seem to get the photo to go the right way up..... Seems to be a bug between the iPad and photobucket..... Stupid frickin thing.

Cheers

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Nice Matt, I'm very happy to have a spare tip... just don't think I'll wrap any guides on it unless required :lol:
I've decided wrapping a hex blank is way more work than a std round blank :D

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 pm

I have finished the build but you will have to wait for some pics... next I want to do a custom rod sock just need to find some cool fabric??? I plan to do a timber hexagonal rod tube, my brother inlay is going to run the timber but has got himself busy making custom timber snare drums :D So an old rod tube will have to do for now :lol:

J D

Post by J D » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:00 am

Beautiful work Mike! Am anxious to hear how it fishes.

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:39 pm

With me on the end of it JD, brilliantly I except :lol:

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:04 pm

I did it... christened the boo, it is a fantastic taper Matt... perfect, exactly what I hoped for 8-)
I little more write up on my blog...

Not sure what I was trying to do in this grip shot but a funny unintentional hand gesture was the result :lol:

J D

Post by J D » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Saw the blog...sounds like you have a winner there!!

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Good to see you out there yesterday Mike. Sorry I wasn't all that talkative, when im in fishing mode I have one thing on my mind!. Sorry about that mate.

Great day for it hey? and what a spot. Must get up your way more often in the next few weeks, till some more rivers open hey?

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 pm

Certainly have JD, Matts interpretation of my babble was bang on... fantastic taper :D
Funny Fraser, my brother wondered who would get a word in edge ways between you and Dore :lol:
It has been a stunning couple of weeks up the lake but this weather must be due to pack it in,
it's nearly opening :lol: