Never built a rod....

Fly Rod building tips, comments etc
ziffle

Never built a rod....

Post by ziffle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:29 pm

As the title says I've never built a rod nor even thought much about it but now I reckon I'd like to give it a go. Cost is always important to me :cry: and I imagine that the sum of the parts will end being more than the off the shelf option. I guess that's a bit relative to what etc but am I right?

What are the key things I will need to get started, something to rotate the rod during wrapping is the first thing that sticks out

cheers

fraser hocks

Re: Never built a rod....

Post by fraser hocks » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:17 pm

Best way to start is buy one of the kits from Swift in my opinion. All the parts you need are there and the tools as well. Also means you know exactly what you are up for cost wise. Dam hard to beat, and an New Zealand made product, what more can you ask for??

https://swiftflyfishing.com/collections/fly_rod_kits

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:29 am

Endorse a kit from Epic.

Also a very good idea to get a rotator. If you are Wellington based you can borrow mine. It's nothing flash but saves you buying one. I bought mine online. Can't remember what I paid for it.

In terms of cost, depending on what components you choose I think building your own is a reasonably economical exercise compared to buying a top end rod off that shelf. But you'd struggle to do it for the price you can buy a entry level or mid point rod.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:30 am

Funny that this came up. We have just recently had 6 members of the local club, that im the president of buy kits from Swift. So in order to assist we have used some club funds to purchase a CRB rod wrapper and a dryer rotisserie. Will be interesting to see how it goes. In the past iv either used a home made jig or borrowed a mates high end rod lath.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!