Components?

Fly Rod building tips, comments etc
SuperJack.10

Components?

Post by SuperJack.10 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 pm

G'day all. Have built a couple of the Epic kits and decided to buy my first blank without all the premade stuff ready to go. Then thought - whoops, now what about the rest? So my question is, do people have any favourite sites or places they shop for grips/seats/guides? I know a couple of the experts on here turn their own but this is well beyond me.

Keen for a full wells grip (it's a six weight) and probably a wood seat but open to suggestions.

Cheers
Andrew

SuperJack.10

Re: Components?

Post by SuperJack.10 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am

Apologies - just realised this morning that Steve carries some rod building stuff. Hope that's not a faux pas! I will take a look at the stuff Steve has, but if he doesn't mind I'd still be keen to hear brands etc people think I should check out.

fraser hocks

Post by fraser hocks » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:54 am

Hey there, yea Superjack, Steve would be my first port of call.

I know a lot of people tend to go to www.mudhole.com They seem to have the rod building market cornered and stock an amazing array of kit.

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

OneHairyArm

Post by OneHairyArm » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:42 am

Mudhole has a good selection but the freight charges are insane!!!!

If you want you can always swing by and use my lathe - I have a good supply of cork and some wood for reel seats etc.
I use Steve for my guides + Snake brand.

There is a couple of really good shops on Ebay that have really good shipping rates.

Cheers

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:52 pm

yup Steve will have all you need in reel seats, corks and guides.

But. Universal Snake Guides, which he doesn't stock, are what you would have used on your Epics. They are the nicest on the market IMHO. You can get them direct from Universal snake Guides, just google them for the website. It'll cost you a bit though for a complete set in which you should include stripping guides and tip-tops and if you go down that line, think about getting a winding check (and hook keeper) as well. Just make sure you get the right sized wc so measure first, and in the right place.....

Which means that: To do a good job you need tools. You'll need a good reamer to enlarge the cork, glues for the cork and reel seat, seating material like foam or tape, a rod holder, thread spool holder and tensioner, decent micrometer.... list goes on. It'll turn into something similar to flytying if you're not careful - the accumulation of a heap of shit..... (not necessarily a bad idea though...)

I'd suggest you take up Matt's offer as you'll get, no doubt, a bit of good advice as well.

Don't know if he's got any left or if they still on sale but Steve was selling off CTS blanks in 6 and 8 weights on the site. Some of the best blanks in the world.....

SuperJack.10

Post by SuperJack.10 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks all. Very kind of you to make that offer Matt. I'm not sure I have the skills even if I had the use of the lathe! But I will definitely keen that in mind as I pick up the bits and pieces I need.

I have bought stuff from Mudhole before and agree with you on the shipping Johnno! But a good selection.

I actually have a blank already - the Epic 690c - and still have glue and epoxy and thread. Quite like the look of the full wells grip that Steve has in the store so will do a bit of measure when the blank arrives.

No doubt you will hear from me if I run into trouble as I go!!

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Yup. I like that full wells grip and have one ready to glue in on a current CTS 8 wgt build.

Best advice I can give is just enjoy the build, take yr time and shit happens, so don't be afraid to cut and rewrap....