My First Build

Fly Rod building tips, comments etc
J D

My First Build

Post by J D » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Well after a few false starts I finally finished my first build, A cheap MHX 4 peice,7'6", 4 Wt....I did most everything but the epoxy work in my tent in Afghanistan....I figured trying put the finish on in that dusty environment would be a mistake so I waited until I got home to put the finishing touches on it. I finally made it home for a quick 2 week visit so I had a chance to finish it here. My wife had to head back to NZ to visit her sick mum so I had my evenings free after getting the kids to bed. Frankly I don't think it would have made a bit of difference as I am not pleased with my final results. I am embarrassed to include these pictures after seeing the quality of work from the others on here.

That being said, I can't wait to start my next build...I learned a ton putting this rod together and I know each rod should improve from here. I think I am still a ways off from working on a couple of Winston blanks I have.

Cheers,
JD

"When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably Be At The Airport"

fraser hocks

Re: My First Build

Post by fraser hocks » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Nothing wrong with that build JD. Looks sweet to me mate! Nice one. ;)

Besides its more about the enjoyment of catching a fish on a rod you built yourself than the intricacies of how the finish to the rod comes out. I look forward to seeing your next few rods!

Bucking trends in fly fishing since 1970!

Wilki

Post by Wilki » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:20 pm

Nice JD, love the reel seat 8-)

OneHairyArm

Post by OneHairyArm » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Nothing wrong with that JD. The cork looks clean! A few fish will sort that out pretty quick.

Cheers

"If you want to catch beasts you don't see everyday.
You have to go places quite out of the way.
You have to go places others can't get to.
You have to get cold, and you have to get wet, too" Dr Seuss.

Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:08 pm

All good Herc. It'll be good as gold. Liking the reel seat. Probably the first flyrod built in the sands of Afghanistan

J D

Post by J D » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:07 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement...there is a very good reason I did not show any close-ups of my finish work on the guides... :oops: Lots of room for improvement there. I had real trouble getting a straight line on any of the guides...a couple of footballs and the finish over the decal has more waves in it then the Cook Straight!

This is addicting! I think I may build on another cheapo blank before tackling anything nicer.

Cheers,
JD

J D

Post by J D » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:13 am

Wilki/Johnno...the reel seat was given to me from Mike McCoy at Snake Brand Guides along with another in green. Mike and Susan are great folks and I can't say enough about them! I'm sure reel seat is overkill on this blank but I promised Mike I would put it to use on the first rod I built for my boys.

Cheers,
JD

upstream

Post by upstream » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:02 am

Don't stress about the finish JD. My first rod was the same. Except I did it on a quality blank. But that rod is still my favourite and has caught a heap of fish for me, I really couldn't care about the finish on it at all anymore...